Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F550: 05' f550 6.0. At LOW idle truck will "drop injectors"

Customer Question
05' f550 6.0. At LOW...
05' f550 6.0. At LOW idle truck will "drop injectors" one cylinder at a time over the course of about 10/15 minutes until it seems to starve itself for fuel and eventually shuts all the way down
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/30/2015
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 3 years ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Hello my name is Scott,
This concern can be caused by a fuel injector or copper sealing ring on the bottom of the fuel injector that leaks combustion gas into the fuel system.
What happens is the leaking injector will allow the combustion gas into the fuel system and the pressure will overcome the fuel pressure and slowly push the fuel out of the rail in the head back towards the tank.
The way to check is remove the secondary fuel filter cap, using remote starter with the key OFF, crank the engine over watching for bubbles, if there are, a fuel injector is leaking. They way to tell which bank it is, is with a balloon test on each fuel line from the heads at fuel housing, the side that blows the balloon up is the problem side. We normally replace all 4 on the side with the problem, if you don't, it may run okay at first, but the injector usually will fail within a few days.
I suspect #2 is the bad one and starving all the rest.
Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott
Scott, I have done this test and haven't found any bubbles. I had diagnosed a similar problem this way before. I also pulled the #2 injector just to look inspect the o-rings and copper seal, most everything looked normal.
I didn't ever use a balloon though, I just keep the level in the filter housing low and watch to see what line the bubbles come from
You want the level as high as possible in secodary housing, the bubbles will come out of the ceter standpipe, it needs to be submersed, then crank it over, sometimes it may take a minute of cranking before it shows also.
Scott I will try the test again, the way that you are describing tomorrow morning and get back to you with the results
Ok sounds good