Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

F350 diesel p/u: My 2010 ford diesel f350 pick up has 90,000

Customer Question

My 2010 ford diesel f350 pick up has 90,000 miles and has started to get hot when the turbo kicks in for any extended period of time. Water levels are good and the truck will run at a normal temp... until I start up a steep hill or pull a load.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.
You need to check for the presence of exhaust gases in the coolant. Occasionally we will see these engines seep across the head gasket, not enough to burn coolant, but enough to displace the coolant and create hotspots under a load. There is a simple chemical test that can confirm this. If there is no exhaust trace then I would suspect mineral build up in the radiator. Over time minerals from the water attach to the inside of the fins, this keeps the coolant from proper contact and heat transfer and reduces the radiator efficiency, so it overheats under a load.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem was the clutch in the fan.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.
Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the info.