Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F350: I recently had to drill out and replace lock cylinder…

Customer Question
I recently had to drill...
I recently had to drill out and replace lock cylinder on my 2004 F350 diesel (some tried to steal it). Everything back together but I get no crank when it turn key.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 3 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Are you using the original key with the new cylinder (has the cylinder been keyed to match your original key)
Yes the cylinder was keyed to match the original key
Do you have a scan tool? They likely damaged the wiring to the immobilizer.
I only have a code reader and a multimeter. Where would I find and test the immobilzer?
I don't think this year had an immobilzer installed. I understand that police say F350 are targeted for that reason
Do you have communication with the PCM using your code reader and are there any codes present if so?
Code reader does not seem to communicate with PCM - I don't get any reading when I plug it in.
I seem to recollect that my cheap code reader did not work on the F350 before I had the problem. I have power to lights and key ignition buzz sound works
Also charged both batteries to ensure they are topped up
One would have to assume its got a bad PCM without being able to check. Personally I would either get a code reader that is compatible with the truck so you can verify the PCM is being powered up and check codes or get it in the hands of someone with the proper tools. Guessing at a PCM can get expensive but with the little information we got to go on it sounds like the issue. Maybe they tried to short something out or something.. Im not real sure.
Are there any simple tests for other electrical faults that can cause same problem (e.g. starter relay)?
You can remove the relay and jumper from pins 30 to 87 and it should crank or you can cross the small and big wires on the starter and it should crank. If it doesnt start while cranking we are back to assuming the PCM is bad but personally I would want more evidence than that.