Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Five Hundred: I have called three Ford Dealerships in…

Customer Question
I have called three Ford...
I have called three Ford Dealerships in the North Georgia mountains regarding the approx. costs for a tune-up for my 2005 Ford Five Hundred. So far, I've gotten three different estimates, ranging from $400 to $700. Can anyone besides a Ford Dealership do these same tuneups, or should I stay with Ford?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 3 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...The 2005 Five Hundred has the 3.0L engine. It's very similar to the 3.0L engine that has been used in the Taurus and other models for many years. These engines are not very hard to work on at all. As long as you find a local shop that has experience working on Ford engines, there shouldn't be any problem with having a non-Dealer shop perform the tune-up on this vehicle. As for the estimate- the spark plugs sell for around $5.29/each. The Labor Time Guide calls for 2.9 hours to replace all six. The reason for the 3 hours labor is that to access the rear plugs, the upper intake or "plenum" will need to be removed. When replacing, it will require a new gasket. This sells for arounf $16. The Fuel Filter sells for around $19 and the Labor Time Guide calls for .7hr to replce. The Air Filter sells for around $20 and the Labor Time Guide calls for .3hr to replace. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
.