Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

F-150 5.4 Litter Engine: I can not get power to my 7 pin connector.

Customer Question
I can not get power...
I can not get power to my 7 pin connector. I am thinking that I need to check fuses and relays in order to restore power to this component. It was working a couple weeks back but in trying to connect a new wiring harness it seems that I may have shorted out a fuse, relay or other electrical component. Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
5/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
There are five fuse that can effect power to the trailer tow connector. They are all located in the CJB (interior fuse panel. The fuse to check are the F10, F105, F106 F13 and the F102. See the wiring diagrams in the links below for reference as well. Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them. The fuses are marked in the diagrams as well. Check these and post back if you have more questions and or need more help.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trailer%20Connector%20May%2026.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trailer%20two%202%20May%2026.pdf
Hi Ron,I appreciate your quick response and will follow up on your suggestions. I do have a couple questions before continuing with this repair. I looked in the fuse panel myself and found a couple fuses and relays related to this problem. Fuse 42 on my panel has to do with the right and left turn signals, should I change this one? Number 13 on my panel is for Climate Control Module Power and Flasher functions. I guess the flasher functions are the issue here? I live a good distance from the auto parts store so I want to be certain that I get all of the fuses and relays needed when I go to town. Thanks and I appreciate your willingness to work through this.
Your going to want to change any that are blown. The fuse I have listed are also shown in the wiring diagrams and all of then supply power to the trailer tow circuit so be sure to check each one. The only relays in the CJB that are changeable is the park lamp relay and the charge relay. See there location in the link below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Relay%20May%2026.pdf
So none of the six relays should be changes, correct, even though relay #5 is identified as Trailer low battery charge?
It not likely all of the relay are bad but if you have to change any, the only two that can be changed are the park light relay and the battery charge relay. The other are built into the CJB and are not service with out replacing the CJB. Lets get the fuses checked first. It more likely you have blown one or two then its is that the relays have failed.
OK, so just to be sure I am on the right track, you recommend changing the fuses that you originally identified first and the relays as a second option. Are there any suggestions beyond these actions should changing checking or changing the fuses and relays not solve the problem? Also is it likely that I blew a fuse when trying to connect the trailer lights? If so I will exercise more caution. I really do believe that this is a fuse or relay issue as I did have power to the 7 pin unit last week before trying to rewire my trailer. I do appreciate your quick response and after your last input, I will go to the parts store to obtain the necessary fuses and perhaps the two relays that can be changed. Thanks
Yes check all the fuse shown in the trailer tow wiring diagrams I sent you and replace any that are blown. I am with you and do believe you going to find a fuse or two blown. Its pretty uncommon for the relays to fail.
OK, are you available for other consultation later in the day and will that be an additional charge, should I need more help?
I'm here all day and the question remains open even after you rate my service and you are only charged once after the rating. You can have as many follow ups as need at no extra charge.
Thanks Ron and can you provide the correct email or best way to reconnect with you should I need to?
All you need to do is book mark this question and return to it once your ready.
Thanks Ron, back if necessary and if not, I will provide a great review of your help!
You very welcome and thank you as well. I'm here if you need me and thank you again.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician