Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Ranger Club Cab 2.8 liter: Got a Ford Ranger '94 w/ 4-cylind

Customer Question
Got a Ford Ranger '94...
Got a Ford Ranger '94 w/ 4-cylinder engine, and the red "battery" light has been coming-on. The lights do NOT seem to be dimming, at low RPM's, though. Any comments?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
5/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: John Crouch, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
The battery light that comes on in the dash is grounded by the voltage regulator that is inside of the alternator. If the regulator senses any issues with the alternator it will turn the light on in the dash by grounding it. Even though the lights are not dimming or anything, most likely you have a diode or a part of the bridge rectifier going bad (these are the components that change the AC voltage to DC voltage that the alternator puts out while operating. replacing the unit will correct the concern and keep the light from coming on.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.
John Crouch
John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic