Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Going down the road at 40 mph, I take my foot off gas, the…

Customer Question
Going down the road at...
Going down the road at 40 mph, I take my foot off gas, the car will not slow down. If I put car in neutral while this is happening, the rpm, is 1500, goes up to 2200, what is wrong?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 3 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
this problem can be caused by a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body causing the throttle plates to stick at part throttle. Have the throttle body cleaned properly and also have the intake checked for a vacuum leak. The intake has rubber o rings that seal them together. When they leak, they allow extra air to enter the engine and this in turn will bring the rpms up.