Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Performance issue with 08 escape

Customer Question

Performance issue with 08 escape
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Whats it doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Recently I have dropped majorly in fuel economy. It acts as if I'm pulling a trailer under acceleration. Sluggish all around.
Any warning lights on in the dash?
Any warning lights on in the dash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None. I checked it with an Autel scan tool and received no codes. The scan tool shows a ? beside b2s1 o2 sensor, but I can't find any information on it anywhere.
Does your scan tool read live data? I would suspect a restriction in the exhaust.. more specifically most likely in the catalytic converter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does. The cat temps were both around 1400 running. The downstream sensors both act normal ie stay consistent and do not change following the upstream. Under heavy acceleration one upstream goes and stays rich and the other one goes and stay lean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Driving normal they both oscillate seemingly normal.
Does it graph? If so is there anyway you can take a picture of a graph with it in neutral revved to about 2000 rpms for a minute or so?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do that
ALright. Ill be standing by waiting on it ;)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is the graph. It wouldn't let me record it in graph so I made it on excel and uploaded a screenshot of it
What was going on there when it went full lean for like 11 seconds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not a thing on my end. Throttle held at 2k. Didn't sound any different that I could tell.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just revved it in neutral.
Do you have a fuel pressure tester or can you borrow one from a parts stores loaner tool program or something? I would like to know the fuel pressure when that happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I could check that
Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The truck has 160k and never had the o2 sensors replaced. I'd probably be doing it a favor by replacing them anyways right?
At 160k I would imagine that would increase your fuel economy even if everything else was good... assuming you use decent sensors and not some junk from autozone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bosch all the way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My cats are at their limit too I imagine. Not looking forward to spending the close to $800 on those. :\
These do alright with cheap aftermarkets welded in. Most of the cheapers ones are a little louder than factory though. If you can live with the noise you can save quite a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That would be great cuz they're in each manifold
Yep. Drop the manifolds and take them and a couple of catco cats to a local welding shop if you dont weld and you will save at least half the cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sweet!
Its 11 PM here. I assume the fuel pressure test wont be until tomorrow. I am about done for the night. Just reply when you get the pressure checked and we can move on. My replys might be a little slow tomorrow. but I will be around in some capacity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
No problem.