A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

AMEDEE. Having trouble with a 2003 ford Taurus.

Customer Question

Hi AMEDEE. Having trouble with a 2003 ford Taurus.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
What is the problem you are having with the 2003 Taurus?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Car wouldn't start. Jumped it off and bit started up. Speedometer jumps between 40-60 mph while car is in park. ABS and Anti theft lights on and engine surges. Let the car run for abt 20 mins and turned off. Tries to restart. No luck. Jumped it off again and it restarts with same symptoms. Had this group le abt 6 months ago and changed battery cables. Cleared the trouble....until now. Any idea what the root cause could be?
get the vehicle and check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running. It should be 13.5 volts or better up to 14 volts.
If the voltage is below 12 volts, replace the battery and the alternator. Your vehicles electronics require voltage to operate properly. Low voltage will cause all kinds of electrical issues.