Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Hey mike there is suppose to be a 30 amp fuse somewhere in

Customer Question

Hey mike there is suppose to be a 30 amp fuse somewhere in the dash that's blown and wont let the dlm port or pcm get power. Do you know where?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Are you asking where the central junction box is?
If so, it's behind thr lower left side of dash.
If that is not what you are asking, you have to give me the name or number of the fuse and don't use abbreviations like dlm.
By the way, what is a dlm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I mean is the port where you plug a code reader into the dash. I can't get no reading. It says it is unable to establish a link to the vehicle
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
DLC, (diagnostic link connector). Give me a second. Was it in the diagrams I gave you? If you would have told me the name or number of the fuse, not just a 30 amp, cause now I have to spend time looking for the dlc circuit now, to find the fuse you are talking about.
I asked you to give me the name or number of the fuse. How do you know what fuse it is or where it is supposed to be unless you know the name and/or number. I would have liked to know what I am looking for, although I will look. I expect a good rating now on both of these posts.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Did you locate the central junction box?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I see a F2.12 fuse that powers the dlc in that central junction box. It should be hot all the time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What fuse powers the dlc.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I just told you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
An f2.12 is not in my diagram
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
What diagram are you looking at?Did you check the f2.12 fuse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't pull up the diagrams you sent for some reason. I'm looking at the owners guide at the numbers on the fuses in the box
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Believe it or not, I'm not the most computer savvy sob there is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea where an f2.12 fuse is at in this fuse box. It's not marked f2.12
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
So you are just now telling me you cannot open the wiring diagrams I set you?
To open them you need Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your PC.
I don't have phone call setup.
Give me a second, I want to look at that owners manual myself.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
It's fuse 12 in that Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel.
Ford calls it one thing and Chilton calls it another. I believe the F2.12, the F2 refers to the second fuse box, then the number after the . is the actual fuse number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a computer, I'm on my phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A second fuse box?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the second fuse box?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
The one I told you, the central junction box is the same thing as far as I can tell, it's behind thr lower left side of dash.
I asked you befoe if you found that. You have to start answering all of my questions or I will just get ask them again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I know where the fuse box is under the steering column.thats the one I've been looking at
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
So, is there a fuse #12 in there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
And?
Was it blown or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a test light now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
#12 says cig. Lighter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I see that fuse 12 as a 20a though.
Page 179, http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03f23og5e.pdf
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Does it say OBDII also? That is the DLC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my cig lighter works
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Then you have to tell me exactly what 30a fuse you are looking for, better yet I want to know what told you there was a 30a fuse, and then I want to know the number of this fuse. If you could even give me the link to this owners manual or tell me if it's the same one I have or something.
This is just going around in circles.
Probably why you shouldn't be opening new posts when you aren't even done with the previous posts.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Did you get that fuel pump running from the other post?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it came from a friend who Googled it . I didn't get it. He had it on his phone when he was here. Somebody said theirs was in the engine compartment and mine was in the dash
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No power to fuel pump and obd2 reader still wont connect to computer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then why would you open a new post?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I asked you in that other post about the #105, #118 and fuse #40, but you never answered that. What is the answer to that question and why did you open a new post when you haven't even finished that post? Plus I see another post of yours open from today.
You have to complete what you are asking before moving on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Changed #105, no difference# ***** not blown don't have 118
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Why didn't you tell me that in that other post?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To the question about the posts, I'm trying to get all the input I can.ive been down for2 days and I need to be rollingn
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I will tell you this, you must test fuses for voltage. You cannot just look at a fuse or change a fuse. That is something to do when you are broke down on the road away from home.
Use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light and check for voltage. I think since you have so many things not working, you should make a list of everything that don't work, and then start testing the connections starting at the battery, the starter and junction boxes, then moveon to check for power to entire fuse boxes, then each indidual fuse.
I am opting out though here and on the other post, cause from the looks of it it isn't going to get anywhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry you feel that way