James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Have a 2002 ford Mustang. Drove it to store came out to start

Customer Question

Have a 2002 ford Mustang. Drove it to store came out to start it and nothing. Battery good showing 12.9 volts all dash lights come on like normal however when you go to start it absolutely nothing happens. Will not turn over or make any sound at all as if I was using a non-chiped key. Acting like nothing going to starter. Every thing was fine before with no problems at all. Does a chipped key have a battery that needs replacement.. at a loss please help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When you try to start do the lights go dim?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have not checked outside lights but panel lights react like normal. Key on all lights on start position all panel lights go out until you let key go. Car is still at store so can't check the outside lights for ya off hand.

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Some things you can try is when you turn the key on look for the red theft light. It should come on solid for three seconds and go out. If it comes on and flashes very fast then there is an issue with the pats system. If the issue isn't with the pats system I would see if you can jump the vehicle next. If the vehicle won't jump start it is very likely your starter may have failed. If you have a test light or multi meter I can walk you through testing the starter.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how are you? I just wanted to see if I can still offer you assistance?