Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Removed all bolts from starter. starter will not come out.

Customer Question
tried your solution of manually...
Removed all bolts from starter. starter will not come out. tried your solution of manually rotating the engine with a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft pulley but it didn't work. help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/23/2015
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 3 years ago
James, Ford Technician
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Can you please tell me the year and model vehicle you are working on? How many bolts did you remove?
1993 F250 7.3 diesel. I removed 3 bolts
I would use the easiest starter bolt to reinstall. Thread it in by hand a few threads just to catch the starter. If you are replacing the starter this shouldn't matter but I would get a rubber mallet. Try and give the starter a few good hit to free up the mating surface. Where the starter is mounted they have likely seized together and that's why it doesn't want to come out. After a couple or more good hits you should see the starter either come loose or at least separating from the transmission. Once you get it out to prevent this in the future I would use anti seize wherever the parts are touching. It only needs to be a very small amount.
ou want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
We've broken the mating surface and it pulls out about 3/4 of an inch. We're able to rock it back and forth but it won't release. It seems something like the fly wheel or something else is holding it back.
On the top side of the starter is it touching the motor mount by chance? Are you able to push the starter back in very easily?
No it's not touching the motor mount. The starter automatically falls back in after we push it out. It will not stay out
There shouldn't be anything inside the bellhousing to jam against unless the flywheel is frozen to the starter gear. Do you have a pry bar to pop it out the rest of the way or does that not work?
Tried using a pry bar and a giant screw driver. it hasn't worked yet
Are the wires all disconnected from the starter also?
Yes
Is there anyway you can get me a photo? I'm just trying to visualize the area. My next thought would be to use a pry bar and hammer. Use the prybar against the mating surface of the starter and hit it with a hammer to try and force it out. Have you tried this yet?
We've tried the pry bar hammer thing. Our friend whose a diesel mechanic told us to disassemble the old starter and see if that gives us more play to release it from whatever is holding it back. I'm headed to bed. Thanks for trying
I am sorry I wosh I could visualize it better. I will double check for any old service messages to see if it might be something else.
Hello, I just wanted to see if you were able to get the starter out? If you did what was it hung up on?