Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Mustang 5.0 LX: My name is ***** ***** but I go by

Customer Question
Hi My name is *****...
Hi My name is ***** ***** but I go by Randy. My 1993 Mustang 5.0 LX, leaks gas where the filler tube enters the tank. Whats recommended for the best repair or replacement?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/21/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The expert you have requested is not online Randy so I can help you. The problem you have with the fuel leak is caused by the filler neck gourmet rotting out and cracking and the correct fix is going to be to unbolt the 3 small screws holding the filler neck to the body and lowering the tank , once you have the tank lowered, you can push the filler neck into the tank enough to clear the body and then twist and pull it right out. Once the filler neck is out, then you can easily the grommet, one you have done so, lube the filler neck up with some lube and slide it back in far enough to get it to clear the body when you raise the tank back up and then you can pull it back out to get it bolted back to the body. See the grommet in the link below as well as the tank removal steps in the second link. Copy and past the links to your browser to open and view them
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9072A/1979-97-Mustang-Fuel-Filler-Neck-Grommet?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=comparison-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping-v2&year=1993&gclid=CKjx5P6q08UCFRNafgodbJ4AaA
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20tank%20May%2021.pdf