Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Good morning Ron. I'm having some electrical issues with my…

Customer Question
Good morning Ron. I'm having...
Good morning Ron. I'm having some electrical issues with my 1988 Ford F150 V8/4WD. Not sure if it is directly the cause, but I accidently left my passenger window down through a heavy rainstorm. The next day, started having a lot of problems. Turn signals stopped flashing, radio went dim, but it had started okay. Made it 20 miles to stop for gas, tried to restart, barely turned over and died. Jump started it and made it to work. At the end of the day, no turn over, no turnover with jump starter. Had the battery checked at auto hobby store (on 20 min charge) they thought it was okay. Replaced alternator within the hour. Drove home, 5 miles later lost voltage, power, truck stalled, not to restart again. Towed home. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/21/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Hello I would like to help you with this.
First let me tell you that the rain in the window did not make this happen.
Your Problem sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery.
What you need to do is measure the voltage coming out of the Alternator as well as the voltage at the battery. it Should be around 13.5 to 14.5 volts
Please see the below testing procedure for the charging system of your Truck.
Just copy and past the link into your browser.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84253656/fordf150.pdf
I hope this helps you.
Please let me know if you need any more assistance.
Carl
Carl,
Thanks for the instructions. I will be attacking this problem starting today. I'm wondering however, if there is a root cause for the "new" alternator going bad within 10 min of running the truck. Is it more likely that I bought a faulty alternator or there is another problem that caused this new alternator to "fry". So what I am asking...if I do this test and found out the alternator is bad, buy a new one, what are the chances that I fry this one as well. Is there other troubleshooting I should perform before replacing the alternator again? I will do the test today and post the result. If the alternator is putting out the required voltage, I suppose the battery is the culprit, and will have that tested again. Thanks.
Disregard. I removed the alternator and checked connections. As it turns out, the new (refurbished) alternator has a voltage regulator attached to the back of it that is not in the same position as the original. The connection for one of the wire harnesses is rotated further toward a bracket which created an obstruction that prevented a proper connection. I unbolted the alternator, connected the wire harness first, then rotated it into place and bolted it in. Test sat. Good to go. Thanks.