Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F150 4x4: 2003 FX4 F150 - 5.4L 4x4. Interior light and cargo…

Customer Question
2003 FX4 F150 - 5.4L...
2003 FX4 F150 - 5.4L 4x4. Interior light and cargo light started staying on but only dim. Now 4x4 light flickering erratically, no pattern when not engaged. When I engage the 4x4 switch the 4x4 cuts in and out, I can feel it. Engine runs fine and drives fine. Would this be the GEM module getting damp?? thx, Rod
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
5/19/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The expert you have requested is not on line at present so I will help you,
The problem you are describing does sound like you are dealing with water intrusion into the GEM/fuse panel. The 2003 had known issue with windshield leaking at the top left corner and allowing water to run down the windshield post and drip on the GEM/fuse panel, when this happens it causes all sort of electrical concern such as the one your having due to intern shorting in the GEM/fuse panel . What you need to do next is to remove them and have a look , your looking for any signs of corrosion and or moisture. If you find that is the cases you best served to replace both. I have enclosed the removal steps in the link below so you can inspect them. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/GEM%20May%2019.pdf
Have a look and let me know if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician