Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I have a 2006 f550 that's giving a bunch of issues electri

Customer Question

i have a 2006 f550 that's giving a bunch of issues electrically
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. What kind of issues are you having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok it wouldn't start this morning. I replaced the starter after confirming a no crank with voltage going to the s terminal.. Still won't start I ohm out the battery cables and inspect them for corrosion or damage.. All cables have .1 ohms from end to end it even has .1 ohms from the negate battery post to the block where the starter mounts. I dont have a good load tester just a digital blue point one and they passed with that but I imagine it doesn't test past 100 amps so I decided to change the batteries because I don't know the history of them the truck is a mess and they did not match.... Truck starts right up.. This is a dual alternator truck.. I deleted the secondary Alternator.. It was bad and there's no use for it... The main alternator was not charging as well But the switch wire is not giving it power to charge... It hAs battery voltage on one and never on the other wire like it should even with the key on.. So I supplied the wire with battery power and it started charging.... Also now after starting it only a few times it doesn't want to start by the key switch again it will only crank if I arc the s terminal and motor stud to the battery cable at the same time.. So I need input on The starter issue should I just do the battery cables maybe they're giving resistance under a load? May be defective starter replacement? It's a napa starter.. And I need to know where the other end of this green switch wire Leeds to so I can confirm its in the cab or engine compartment that is failing the alternator co tell circuit
OK. On the starter issue are you getting power to the yellow/light blue wire at the starter with the key in the crank position.
On the charging issue the other end of that wire comes from the instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What pin is that wire between the engine harness and the connector in the engine compartment? And I confirmed I have power going to the s terminal.. In crank position it only clicks no crank.. Only cranks when I arc the s terminal and motor terminal on starter with battery terminal I don't have somebody to assist otherwise I'd have them power the s terminal whil I arc the motor itself.
If its clicking its going to be a connection or bad starter. I didnt realize it was clicking. Youre going to need a helper to narrow that down.
Here is a copy of the wiring diagram which shows the pin so you have it for reference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a common or known Issue with this? What could be the cause of this circuit not getting power?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me a block designations to check all the connections?
I dont know of any common point of failure. Start at the starter and check your voltage on the big wire while cranking then if its good the issue is the starter.. if not keep following it till you find good voltage while cranking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I fixed the starter it was defective my only concern is the alternator circuit..
Usually when its not charging its a bad alternator.Tell me exactly what you have checked on the alternator and the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the problem you gave me the wrong diagram there was high resistance from the pcm to the alternator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a diesel model that may be the difference in diagrams
Yikes. Sorry about that. I didnt realize I uploaded the gas diagram. My mistake. I was working with a few questions at the time and made a mistake. Either way Im glad you got it going. Let me know if you need anything further. Thanks.