Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Shawn Thought I had hit the jackpot in my quest for

Customer Question

Hello Shawn
Thought I had hit the jackpot in my quest for wiring diagrams for a Ford Ranger but alas it was for a 4.0 and I need 2.3
Specifically a 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4 cyl with automatic trans.
Vin # *****
Engine, transmission and PCM harness so that I can get it running but could use a complete set if available.
Wiring was in shambles and just have had no luck finding reliable info to work from.
Thanks,
Craig
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.I cant really provide complete diagrams.. it is broken into a LOT of diagrams. Your best bet is to go to alldatadiy.com and buy a yearly subscription for your vehicle. That will give you every wire in the truck for a year which should be plenty of time to complete your project. This is the same source that most independent shops use just on a per vehicle basis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I was hoping for a little more than that. I had already looked at alldatadiy.com and the only reason I chose this approach is that a previous questioner asked for the same exact thing except that it was a 6 cyl truck and he got all the schematics requested including component locations. Thought it would be wise for me to do the same and have the opportunity to ask questions as I go. Guess not. 38 bucks + time wasted!!
Your time or money is not wasted. If you give me specific diagrams that you want Ill be happy to get them for you. And I can certainly help with questions as you go.. that is more of what we do here. We generally only provide relevant diagrams for the issue we are helping with. For the price you have already paid I can provide ten diagrams and help with a couple of specific questions.What diagrams do you want and what questions do you have?
And just for curiousity sake can you provide me with a link to the question you are referring to so I can see what you came here expecting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After some additional searching I have finally found the diagrams I'm looking for and made progress. With ignition in run, the fuel pump and PCM relays energize and I have power to the coils. In start the engine turns over but no fire. Will check injectors and for spark. I know that I may be missing a ground and water temp input to the PCM. What is the absolute minimum required to be hooked up to PCM to run?As for the link I was referring to...
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/6fa2w-ford-ranger-4x4-need-wiring-harness-diagram-1996-ford.html
I can look over a list of the sensors tomorrow and make a list of what all has to be hooked up just for it to run to some extent. Its late here and Ive actually quit for the night.. I just wanted to let you know I will check in to it tomorrow. It sounds like you hooked up all you could figure out. If you want me to take the lead and help you I can.. if you just want me to answer your questions I can.. its up to you. But you are on the right track checking spark and injector pulses. Also if you can get your hands on a scan tool finding out what codes are stored will help figure out what all is missing.