A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

F250: i have a 2006 f250 5.4l 3v. issue is i have two different

Customer Question

i have a 2006 f250 5.4l 3v. issue is i have two different vct solenoid seals. one is the off center type and the other is centered. any idea as to how that is possible?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Ford had a design change in the 5.4L three valve engine. 2004 through 2006, the VCT solenoid used an off center solenoid and you can remove it with the valve cover still on the engine. In 2007 they changed the valve covers, and the valve cover will have to be removed to replace the VCT solenoid and the gasket is centered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so it is possible that someone has changed valve covers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it the same vct solenoid?
The VCT is the same. Let me have the VIN# ***** your F150. I need to dig through Fords database.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
first it is a f250 super duty vin# *****
Is you seal offset or centered on your engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
passanger side is offset and driver side is centered. the reason i asked if valve cover could have been changed
Not likely, the engine plant may have done that before the engine was installed. Since your truck was built in the middle of the change.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so how do i find out what seal i need for the centered one because i already have the solenoids and off set seals. this is all being done due to rough idle and wanting to stall out at stop signs. if i unplug the vct solenoid it runs fine but lacks horsepower
You will have to contact the parts department and get just that one centered seal. Let them know you need the centered one for 2007 and up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you have to removed cover to change this?
The seal goes into from the outside. You need to carefully pull the seal out with a seal puller or a flat blade screw driver and carefully.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
even the centered seal?
Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good so no need to remove covers
No.