EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2012 Expedition Factory Backup Camera

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Ford Expedition with factory backup camera that goes to the mirror. I installed a new Pioneer NAV unit and want to tie into the wiring to get the camera to come through radio. I need to know where and what color the wires are for this.  I assume it is in the driver or passenger kick panel, but what I have found online thus far don't seem to match up.  Also wondering about the factory Sync Microphone, if I am able to tie into instead of install a new microphone.  Thanks

Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concern today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.

The wires for the backup camera at the mirror are: Video+ white/green, Video- brown/violet. There are no connectors in the kick panel for the video feed. There is a connector in the liftgate, then the next connector is above the headliner. THen the mirror connector.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So is there no place to tie in, other than taking out the headliner? How would they wire it if I were to goto the dealership and have the factory nav put in?

There is places to tie in. Anywhere in the harness. There are just no connectors that the circuit runs from, back to front, that is really accessible. You probably dont have to remove the entire headliner. The connectors may be accessible by lowering the headliner in the front.

I work at the dealer, and I have not installed a factory nav on an expedition. If there is even a kit for it. Its probably not just remove the radio and install a nav. But if it is, there would be a Ford kit with instructions that would tell you how to install it. Maybe plug and play, maybe not.

I can check to see if there is an add on nav system. I have access to all the accessory instructions.