Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Super Duty 6.8L V-10: Chris I have the same question as

Customer Question
Chris I have the same question...
Chris
I have the same question as this thread:
"How do I remove the rear seat in a 1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2ilw7-remove-rear-seat-1999-ford-f-250-super-duty.html#ixzz3a8LoN9bq"
Did it ever get resolved?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
5/14/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.I would assume the previous customer got their issue resolved since they never came back to reply but I cannot say for sure.I am attaching instructions here.. let me know if you still cant get it. First remove the seat then the backrest.This should be all you need but if not please reply to let me know. If so please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks
My issue is the same issue as the thread poster. There is a latch just like in the picture he provided. I cannot remove the backrest because of this latch. I can pull the bolts out of the floor and get everything loose, but without the latch on the back released I cannot pull the seat forward away from the cab. The seat flops around since there is only one connection point now, but I cannot get to the latch with any of the tricks I know...http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17481&stc=1&d=1252198887
Just a moment. Let me see what I can find on that. Ive never personally seen an extended cab with the fold down rear seat.
Maybe I'm using the wrong term to describe the truck? I'll get a picture...
That will work. Basically I just need to know if the back doors are full size and open in the same direction as the front or if they are half doors that open backwards (suicide doors)
I should have left the frayed strap attached to the seat mount bolt so I could get a picture of that also to show that I do in fact have the latchset, but I threw it away...
Yeah that is a supercab.On the seat youre going to have to get to whatever is left of the strap or the strap itself to get it to release. Cut a wedge out of a 2x4 and drive it between the seat and the rear cab wall till you get enough room to get in there with some needlenose pliers or something and just release it. It will be hard to pull the release with the wedge in there but it should work.
How does the lever actuate? Does it just drop straight down, or rotate down? I wonder if I took the trim piece off from above the seat if I could access the latch any easier...
Sorry. Had a phone call come in. Let me go check the one i got here and see if it folds down so I can say for sure. I think it rotates but cant swear to it.
OK. I just checked this one. Its got two straps on the seat.. one on the passenger side and one closer to the middle.. those are not to fold it.... Im not real sure what they are for but its not that.. That seat does not fold.
I just spent my lunch tearing everything apart again... judging by some pictures it does seem to rotate, which isn't good because then I can't just hook it with a rope or wire, I need to hook the top, and allow it to pivot down. Can you find me the specs on the latch?
Or is there another way to spring the latch?
I have no documentation on the latch. Ive checked all the factory service info on the rear seat and nothing is listed. I think you will find it is not intended to rotate but thats just a hunch. I will opt out and see if another expert has anything.
I appreciate your efforts... Seems like this is a rare set-up from how rare it is to find any info on it...
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Just to make sure, your trying to remove the seat back in the rear attached to the cab?
I'm trying to lay the backrest of the seat down to expose the hard back for setting tools on. The Latch that holds the backrest in the upright position has lost it's strap, and I'm having troubles accessing it... I have every bolt holding the rear seat into the truck removed hoping to make some wiggle room, but no success yet...
Below are the files showing ALL of the Ford steps for removal and disassembly of the rear super cab seat and back.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99super1.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99super2.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99super3.pdf
Are you able to remove the brackets holding the seat components to the floor and rear wall? Is there any bit of the strap left that pliers can grab?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
I have the seat unbolted from the floor so it moves around a bit. But without being able to get the seat unlatched from the rear of the cab I cant get to any other bolts. I've tried to identify any hanging strap pieces, but I believe that the strap broke off at the latch. I've tried to work some rebar tie-wire into the back to grab the latch, but am working blind... It sounds like the answer is to keep doing what I'm doing, cut the seat apart and replace it, or just live with it.
I wish I could see it in person or if I had one on the lot to look at. That would help, I am sure I could figure it out then. All I can do is opt out at this point if you want. I have nothing left to offer.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician