EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

F150: 2000 f150 4x4 works except front wheels,,,,I

Customer Question

2000 f150 4x4 works except for the front wheels,,,,I hear it clunk into 4x4,,,when in four low i can tell that the low gear is working, the lights on the dash work,,but the front wheels have no drive
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concern today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.
There is a vacuum actuator on the front axle tube. When you are shifting in and out of 4x4 does that actuator move? Also you may need to verify that vacuum is actually at the actuator when being commanded on. You could have a bad vacuum line or reseviour, near the battery tray.
Also make sure there is power to the 4x4 solenoids, near the battery. They command the front actuator to 4x4 or 4x2.
Do some of these checks and let me know. Thanks.