Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer: Own 2010 Ford Expedition 5.4 V8,

Customer Question
Own 2010 Ford Expedition 5.4...
Own 2010 Ford Expedition 5.4 V8, 4x4 Eddie Bauer, short length. After a hard acceleration today the check engine light came on. No performance issues. The temp, alternator, and oil pressure gauges indicate normal ranges. Has 77,000 miles. 31% oil life remaining. Have not taken to Auto Zone or Advance to get codes read.
Any ideas off the top of anyone's head. Major issues or minors?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
5/10/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Without the trouble codes for the check engine light, it is hard to say. But if the engine is running ok and no driveability issues, it could be minor. Get the codes and post them on this page. It will lead us to the problem.

Will get done on Sunday. Thx.

Sounds good. Good night.

Good afternoon, I just had the codes read. P0455 evap emissions leak, set 5 times. This is a '10 5.4L Expedition and does not have a gas cap. It has been filled with gas since this happened, so I am not sure if anything associated with the fill system is defective. Any ideas?

Also out of curiosity I changed my daughter's left rear caliper recently on an '11 Nissan Quest Van. The pedal has since been near the floor. Pumped brake pedal to bleed and did all 4 bakes at the time, rotating. My research indicates possible air in the master cylinder and recommends a bench bleed. Can this be successfully done with a power bleeder? If you can answer I will send you a tip for the help.

For the P0455 is an evaporative emmission leak tested in the fuel vapor system on the vehicle. First, tank the small white funnel that should be in the rear of the vehicle with the jack. Stick it in the filler neck several times pushing the flap back. There is a seal on the flap. This sometimes clears the flap and seal, then have the code cleared. Also, we have seen the vapor management valve stick closed not allowing the PCM (Engine Computer) to pull the fuel system into a vacuum using engine vacuum. This is how it tests the system with a Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor in the system monitoring the fuel system pressure. These will not cause any driveability systems unless they stick open allowing fuel vapors to be drawn back to the engine and causing it to run rich.

Will try this evening. Then will let you know results.

Do you know if this is covered under an emissions warranty?

Vehicle purchased Mar 2010 and has 77000 miles.

Keep me informed please.
A. Penland
A. Penland