Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My friend was given a Ford Probe turbo 91- Unfortunately-

Customer Question
My friend was given a...
My friend was given a Ford Probe turbo 91-
Unfortunately- it came with broken fan motors and a leak in the water pump.
But my friend tries to turn it off before it overheats.
Last time it stopped while she was driving. OH NO!?
that can not be good.
She thinks it ran out of gas.
We added gas, but it will not start.
A light came on- "Check engine"
I know nothing about any engine without a carburetor.
What should she do?
Kerry Kruskal
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
5/4/2015
Ford Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech replied 2 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
hi, does the motor turn over ?does it seem to have compression or seems as it turns over too quickly now ?if the cranking seems normal try spraying carb cleaner into the air intake or throttle body and see if it tries to start or runs for a few seconds or so ...jazzmaster ..
Hello, I am just checking back with you to see if you still need help with your car ..thank you ...jazzmaster ...

Well- I could not really do what you suggested.

It would be easier to clean the injectors if the engine was running.

So I went a different direction.

I would turn on the key just enough to pump gas into the filter.

And when the lines were primed,

We tried to start the car.

I rev my car to help the battery on my friends car.

It almost starts- but not quite.

Kerry

I am wondering here if the timing jumped as a result of the bad water pump.
It is quite possible that it did and thus may have only jumped a tooth or two but that would be enough to stop it from starting and running .
if the fuel pump comes on when you turn the key to run then most likely that all is working .but I would check the compression and make sure .
this will tell if it did jump as the readings may be lower in one or more cylinders .
So,,when you take out the plugs ,take a look at them and see if they are wet with gas ,this also, would indicate jumped timing and also, show that the fuel is pressurized enough to flow into the cylinder chambers ..jazzmaster ..
Please let me know and stay in touch with me thank you ..
hi, do you still need help ?
did you do a compression check ?

I have been busy,

But next I am going to look at the plugs.

Kerry

ok,
one thing as well check under the back seat and see if the wiring harness to the fuel pump is good .
I remember that the harness on some of these would melt a little and cause issues ..jazzmaster ..
hi, have you done a compression check yet ?
hi, I am just checking back with you on your vehicle question
Did I help help you or do you need further assistance with your issue ?..jazzmaster ..
hello, do you still need help with your vehicle ?
jazzmaster ..

Still working on it-

Going very slow.

Just towed it to my house-

Kerry

ok, let me know please ,,thank you

We changed the spark plugs.

The car started right up.

I checked the oil.

It is about one quart over full.

I guess I am going to have to drain some oil out before I advise her to drive it.

One of the valves is tapping pretty bad.

ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta

Other than that it sounds good to me.

I have reason to believe that it has overheated occasionally because the fans do not work, even when I try direct power.

And, there is a leak somewhere from the front left corner of the car.

It is not the radiator(s).

I suppose it could be the water pump?

Thanks, Kerry

you are welcome .
I would use a cooling system pressure tester to look at the leak closer .
The oil should be changed if there is a presence of fuel in it .
does the oil smell like gas ?
perhaps that is why the oil was over filled or over the full mark .
look closer at the head where it meets the block at that left corner
a cooling system pressure tester can be rented through a parts store under the loan a tool that a lot have now .
yep, if the fan doesn't run with a direct power and ground to it ,it is toast and should be replaced
that ticking may be caused by oil that is thinned out because of the excess fuel going into it .
I would change the oil ,if you would do a compression check some or all of the cylinders may have shown low compression ....jazzmaster ...
hello, did you check the cooling system with a pressure tester to find the leak better ,?
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech