Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Tim. Tor, norwegian farmer here. You helped me out

Customer Question
Hi Tim. Tor, norwegian farmer...
Hi Tim. Tor, norwegian farmer here. You helped me out earlier :-) That time i ended up changing IDM and icp. and got truck running. I now have a new problem with my 1999 ford f250 superduty xlt, 7,3l diesel. I drove it out of garage, just fine, and parked
outside. The next day It cranks, but wont start. read codes : P0472 exhaust pressure sensor low input, P1670 Continious electronic feedback signal not detected, and code P0603 pcm keep alive memory error. I read some post about maybe the cps (camshaft sensor)
could be a reason, so i changed that.. not help.. Where should i start looking? wiring? Im just a hobby mechanic, so i probably need "idiot" instructions :-)...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
5/4/2015
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, and welcome back Tor, these codes can all be set with a bad camsensor, has the sensor been replaced yet?
yes. I replaced the cam sensor, and still doesnt start.
have you checked for a cam signal in the computer with a scanner?
Here is what i have found with my scanner now. fresh test just now..( CanOBD2 tool): 1:No powertrain DTCs or Freze frame data is presently stored in vehicle computer. 2: Continuous memory test: codes 0720, 1670,0603 and 0470. 3: KOEO test : codes 1668 and 0470.
Not sure how to check for cam signal as you were asking if i did...
oops..not code 0720, but 0472
OK, The P1668 is for the IDM, and can cause the no start, where did you get the IDM at, was it new or used?
The IDM was new. Got it from a lokal US parts store. Has been Running fine with it for approx one year.
It sounds like its bad again,Tim
Hmmm, hope not.. expensive cause the store have to get it shipped from us. (last one i think costed me about 800$) Any other things i could check and might cause it?.
Or.. easy way to determine that it actually is the IDM.. Not so many US Fords running around here, so parts are a boring issue when needed..
to check the IDM, youn need to check for power on the dark green wire witha light green stripe, and check for ground on the black wire with a pink stripe, If the power and ground are good, check the Yellow/Light Blue (YE/LB) wire from IDM pin 16 to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) pin 96, the Gray/White (GY/W) wire from IDM pin 4 to PCM pin 48, the Brown/Orange (BN/OG) wire from IDM pin 17 to PCM pin 95, and the Gray/Red (GY/RD) wire from IDM pin 2 to PCM pin 91 for high resistance, open circuit, short to ground, short to power, or shorts to each other. Also wiggle the harness while testing looking for intermittent problems. If all wires check OK, powers and grounds are OK, suspect a faulty IDM.
OK :-). need to keep my head clear and see if I can manage to do that :-) Thanks so far.. will start on this tomorrow.. If nothing else I get to know my truck better and better..
anytime my friend,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH