A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford Explorer: 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 no crank no start no

Customer Question

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 no crank no start no communication with pcm. Happened going down the road, accelerated hard and shut off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on?Check fuses #11, #15, #18, #23, #40. Make sure thee fuses have power when the key is turned on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I went out of town. Yes all of these fuses have power with the key on. The CEL comes on with the key and stays illuminated.
I'm at work right now. I'll be home after 6:30 pm EST.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fixed it. Thanks
What fixed the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bank 2 sensor 2 HO2 wiring came in contact with front driveshaft and shorted. What I thought was a spare fuse was actually the PCM diode / HO2 sensor fuse. Replaced sensor, routed pigtail to avoid problem in the future, scanned to check communication, cleared codes and road test.
Glad to hear you found and fixed the problem. Thank you for the update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't believe I missed the fuse. Smh... In a rush, was getting ready to leave town. As soon as I came back fresh I figured it out right away. Lol
I have to do that al lot at the dealership. I get involved in a problem vehicle, and my service writer stops me to do another vehicle, then I get back to the first one and he rushes me. I have to stop, stand back, have coffee or a drink, then get back into it. It happens every day with me.