Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My F350 diesel runs seconds then stalls. Even when I

Customer Question

My F350 diesel runs for 10 seconds then stalls. Even when I recycle the fuel pump it may or may not start, and still only runs for 10 seconds. The codes are 266, 281 and 2291. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Before it stalled I had to keep the truck reved up. Puffs of grey smoke coming from the exhaust. It would run for a few mins and then the same problems would reappear.

Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Can you please tell me what year of vehicle you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2008 with a 6.4 engine Thanks, Terry.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2008 with a 6.4 engine Thanks, Terry. 180,000 miles.

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
We're fuel filters or anything just changed by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fuel filters were changed after the problem of no run started.

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
The first thing I would do is bleed the fuel system. To do this you loosen a line on the fuel cooler. The line you want to loosen is closest to the driver seat. This is the return line for the high pressure fuel system. With this line loose you want to turn the key to the on position for 20 seconds. Repeat this 5 times. Then with the line still loose try and start the engine and see if it starts.