Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford f250 V10 6.8L: 2010 Ford F250 V10 6.8LWill go to 40%

Customer Question
2010 Ford F250 V10 6.8L Will...
2010 Ford F250 V10 6.8L
Will go to 40% throttle then the rpm dies down and she wont take her fuel
If i let go of fuel a bit she comes back to life.
If i slowly accelerate she can do 120 no problem.If i floor it she dies down until i let go of gas peddle and the Rpm revs up again.
I changed the fuel filter and plugged in computer
P0191 was showing and sometime P0171 and P0174
But that stopped, p0191 keeps coming up
Another code came up, not sure of number but it was a fuel error
I changed the fuel rail pressure sensor and it didnt do a thing
I unplugged my fuel filter and let the fuel pump through the filter to see the pressure it just seamed to have a weak stream it didnt shoot out with high pressure
Please help
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Hello, it sounds like a weak fuel pump issue, it should have approx 60 psi with a gauge, it would explain the lean P0171/P0174 codes and Fuel rail pressure code if it indicated a loss of pressure. The pump will only prime for a few seconds when you turn the key to on, it needs to be checked with a fuel pressure gauge and a scan tool that can read the Fuel Rail pressure sensor input when it looses power to be sure it is a fuel pump problem
How big of a job is it to change a fuel pump
Also would this be something that would be included on a powerfeain warranty?
Thanks
Depends which way you go about replacing the pump. you can jack up the bed and gain access to it, but isnt 100 percent safe if you havent done that way before, def a few hours to drop the fuel tank and need a special tool to unscrew the fuel pump retainer to the tank. It might be depending on the type of powertrain coverage of extended service plan you have through ford. I would typically say yes, but contact your local dealer first to be sure.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician