Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-250 6.0L: I'm trying to figure out why my '03 6.0l wont start.

I'm trying to figure out...
I'm trying to figure out why my '03 6.0l wont start. It was doing the long crank thing for a while (intermittent) and now it will crank but not start. The last time it did this, the local Ford dealership told me they just replaced my alternator to fix it. Does this sound right? I have a bulletproof ficm and I just had the heads done. 142000m btw. My fan speed sensor is crapped out so on the way home with my 36' trailer I got up to 240eot & 235ect for a short distance. (5 miles) Could this have done something?
I have been having problems with the batteries dying and the long crank issue does stop when the batteries are fresh of of the charger
4/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Thomas, Ford Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you today. Did your fan go out and damage the harness to it?
No, the harness is fine. I have a code for the fan speed sensor fault. the burning question is why my truck wont start. the first time it did this, the dealer replaced the injectors. 2nd time hpop. Last time, alternator. I'm tired of spending money at the dealership and I can't afford a 2 post lift right now.
I understand your frustration. The reason I asked about the harness when it gets damaged by the fan blades it will shoot a fuse and it will not start. I think you have a leak in the high pressure oil system. First we need to scan it for codes, If you have access to a scan tool I need to know what the ICP pressure is with the engine cranking. It needs 500psi to fire the engine.
My current codes are P0528, P0603, &P132B. I'm looking for my scan tool now unless you know of a way to check ICP pressure on my Banks PDA.
I don't think the banks will do that. I'm not sure if it will though.
None of the codes you have should cause it not to start but you probly already know that. Let me know if you can find out where your ICP pressure is.
I loaned my scan tool to an employee and still haven't gotten it back. the last time this happened the dealership said they replaced my alternator to fix the problem. The performance shop who did my heads said that was B.S. Any thoughts?does the cab have to come off to do the hpop?
The alternator part is B.S. The only thing that would cause it the engine to not even crank over, due to drained batteries. The cab does not come off for HPOP. It may not even be a bad HPOP. It is common to have plugs leak in the high pressure oil rail, if that's the case it's a easy cheap fix remove the valve cover and replace the plug. Here is a youtube link for daig info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHBJ9az4PbE
Would letting my eot get 140+ cause that?
It could finish off a failing o-ring for sure.
Thomas
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Ok, I'm getting my scan tool back tomorrow... I'll pick this up then. Thanks for the help!
One last question, can i continue to use this thread tomorrow or do I have to start all over??
You should be able to continue off this thread.