Ford

My 2007 Ford Explorer has 147,000 miles and Im having transmission…

My 2007 Ford Explorer has...
My 2007 Ford Explorer has 147,000 miles and I'm having transmission problems. Reverse and second gear are slipping.... Read full answer
My 2007 Ford Explorer has 147,000 miles and I'm having transmission problems. Reverse and second gear are slipping.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2014
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

Can I get the vin# ***** see which transmission you have?

1FMEU73E97UA82707

Below is my first answer. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

This is my only income and I try to be online 365 days a year from 3pm till 1am. I do not work for Just Answer. I work through them for each customer. I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent. If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks for letting me try to help you, Chris also known as Moose

>

>>

>>>

>>>>

Thanks you have a 5R55S. Ford the slipping 2nd gear, the transmission needs to be removed. The overdrive band and servo replaced and the servo bore reamed out and sleeved with a bushing. For reverse slipping that is going to be a weak servo seal for the low reverse band. If first gear is also slipping then the low reverse servo and band can be to blame for all 3 gears meaning the overdrive band and servo are fine.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

OK I don't think first is slipping, but it could be. Would having the bands adjusted help at all? Or adjustment and flush?

Only the intermediate and overdrive bands can be adjusted, the low reverse band can not. Adjusting those 2 bands will not hurt but I give it about 5% likely to fix the issues.

Would a flush help along with the adjustment?

Servicing the fluid every 30k is a good task, but its not going to solve this issue.

Hello, it's Chris again

This is an automated response, that is scheduled the minute I post my first answer. I do this to check in on you to see if you need more help and or make sure all is good. A non rated post times out in 7 days, so I want to stay in contact.

If you and I have resolved your concern and you have rated my response, I want to say Thanks, and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark this page and click on my name next to my picture to ask another question, or ask a question in one of the other 300+ categories here.

If you and I are still working on the concern, please continue on with me.

If you have not rated my response. Please let me know why. Did you respond but do not see it on the page? Are you confused with how to rate or why? Do you still need more help? Are you getting errors or having a hard time understanding my answer? If your not pleased, please let me know why, so I can continue learning every day through every customer interaction, to help future customers more efficient.

My goal is your satisfaction, and I want to earn your business now and in the future.

Thanks again, Chris

I rated your 1st response only, I did not realize there would be more. The reverse seems to work fine when I'm on level ground, but if the Explorer is not level form fount to back reverse slips. I'm trying to get the oil level checked someplace, because I think when they did the oil change they did not fill it-reverse was working fine until then.

Keep in touch if needed.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2007 ford f150 5.4 liter 4 wheel drive. I think it
I have a 2007 ford f150 5.4 liter***** I think it has the 4r75e transmission. When I first put into drive in the morning it does not engage. After waiting about a minute it slips into gear and from th… read more
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Ford Senior Master Technician,
Ford Explorer xlt automatic: My 2002 Ford Explorer xlt (automatic
My 2002 Ford Explorer xlt (automatic transmission) is having trouble shifting quickly into gear. The stays at 20 mph and then will slowly get up to speed, but will shift hard once at 40 mph. Engine al… read more
Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman
Ford Senior Master Technician retired,
1997 Ford Explorer: v6..automatic transmission..acceleration..throttle
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer with a v6 and a 5 speed automatic transmission. The problem is that during normal acceleration from a stop the transmission shifts normally 1 to 2 to 3. when the 3 to 4 shi… read more
NicksSticks
NicksSticks
Stop searching for answers—
1991 Ford Explorer: shifting..transmission is slipping..drive gear
I have a faithful 1991 Ford Explorer. Lately had shifting problems, occasional gearing down while driving, now transmission is slipping. took 30 seconds to get in drive gear. has 271000 miles. what is… read more
Dodge expert
Dodge expert
ASE MASTER TECH, REPAIR FACILITY OWNER,
2003 ford explorer eddie bauer: V8..2WD with 51,000 miles..few seconds
hi, i have a 2003 ford explorer eddie bauer V8 2WD with 51,000 miles. when i take off the transmission shudders for a few seconds then smoothes out. thank you in advance for the help. paul… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
2005 ford explorer: transmission problems..My transmission is slipping
Are there transmission problems with the 2005 ford explorer? My transmission is slipping and hard to put in gear at times.… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2001 Explorer: pulling out of a parking lot..trailer..light flashed
I have a 2001 Explorer four door with 180000 miles. No problems w/ transmission at all until I was pulling out of a parking lot with an empty 5X10 trailer. Transmission slipped, the O/D light flashed … read more
Scott
Scott
Diesel, Automatic trans, full line tech,
1996 Ford explorer: 5.0 AWD with 127,000 miles..reverse..slipping
1996 Ford explorer 5.0 AWD with 127,000 miles. Vehicle will go in reverse but will not go forward in any gear. Owner stated felt like it may have been slipping a little then suddenly no longer goes fo… read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
2002 ford explorer 4X4: 102,000 miles and the trans slips..flashing
I have a 2002 ford explorer 4X4 with approx. 102,000 miles and the trans slips from 1 gear into second with O/D light is flashing. interrogated vehicle fault memory and results found P0745 present. Fr… read more
Michael
Michael
2004 Ford Explorer: slipping..gears..transmissions..right back
my 2004 Ford Explorer's transmission is slipping between 2nd and 3rd gears, I heard that this is a bad year for the transmissions on that year of vehicle. I was wondering if there was a fix to that pr… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
1997 Ford Explorer: 2007 Ford Explorer..I love both vehicles
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer that I have loaned to my adult son. I currently drive a 2007 Ford Explorer. I love both vehicles. Just wondering how the 1997 Ford Explorer's Automatic Transmission is buil… read more
RJ
RJ
Ford Tech,
1998 ford explorer sport: reverse..it is slipping on 3rd
1998 ford explorer sport will not go into reverse. And it is slipping on 3rd. How much time do i have before i need to get these problems fixed?… read more
Retired,
N/A
Stop searching for answers—
mercury: ONLY, OR CAN YOU ANSWER A GENERAL QUESTION
ARE YOU CERTIFIED ON MERCURYS ONLY, OR CAN YOU ANSWER A GENERAL QUESTION ON A ANY FORD TRANSMISSION PROBLEM?… read more
John Mc
John Mc
Ford Technician,
Vocational Trade School
2002 ford explorer: accelerate..transmission slips..cyl
when i put the car in gear and start to accelerate transmission slips and will not advance. is there a way i can check and find the problem to the noise. 2002 ford explorer 6 cyl.… read more
Technician,
2002 ford explorer: wheel drive..it into reverse it..engage..smooth
I have a 2002 ford explorer with a 4.0XXXXX When I put it into reverse it seems to almost engage twice. only a few times it has slipped in drive, but then slides into gear smooth. What can I do? I onl… read more
Vincent
Vincent
Automotive Technician,
98 Ford Explorer: shift indicator has been out of proper position
Just started my 98 Ford Explorer, shifted into reverse, it moved slightly and stopped. I now have no reverse or drive, it still moves in first and second. The shift indicator has been out of proper po… read more
j_ramsey
j_ramsey
2003 ford explorers: a recall on their transmissions..slipping
Has Ford made a recall on their transmissions yet on the 2003 ford explorers. My wifes vehicle transmission is slipping and the o/d light if flashing on and off.… read more
Technician,
2003 explorer: shifting..revs..it engages..others having same problem
2003 explorer - transmission slips when shifting- revs up - couple seconds before it engages. Read of others having same problem but not fix indicated. Has been doing it for some time - dealer can't (… read more
Technician,