Ford

Ford F-150 5.4L V8 4X4: I have a 2005 Ford F-150 4X4 5.4L V8…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Ford...
I have a 2005 Ford F-150 4X4 5.4L V8 truck. I keep getting the same codes over and over again. They are the P0715 and P2106. I changed the Turbine speed sensor and the Output shaft sensor. The wires/harness does not seem to have anything wrong either.
I also got the P2197 code. I changed the Oxygen... Read full answer
I also got the P2197 code. I changed the Oxygen sensor. I also checked the catalytic converter and the exhaust system. Everything seems fine. I don't understand where we are going wrong or what to do.
I also reset the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) just in case it did something for it. Do you think I need to get the PCM reprogrammed?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2014
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 4 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Are you able to monitor the tss data stream signal while road testing?

Yes I am able to do that but I don't know how to read it. For example how many mph should we be driving in? What should the preferable reading be? It is labeled as: TSS (RPM). I am using a Snap-On Solus Pro.

The signal varies quite a bit. It is reading the input shaft of the transmission which is driven by the turbine in the torque converter. At a stop in gear it should be zero rpm. Once the vehicle is moving with the converter locked it should match engine rpm pretty closely. With the converter unlocked it will follow engine rpm up and down but could be several hundred rpm different. Usually I try to display the signal in graph form so if the signal drops out, gets glitchy, erratic or noisy it will be easy to see. Next to impossible to properly evaluate the signal if displayed in numerical form. If you can plot engine rpm and tss next to each other it will be easier to see if there is an issue with the tss signal.

Ok I will try that, if it doesn't resemble the RPM what can I do? Like I said, I already replaced the sensor and checked the harness. Should I check the voltage it's sending/receiving?

What about the other codes? The P2106 and the P2197? What can I do about those? I changed the Oxygen sensor and I cleaned the throttle body. The oxygen sensor stays between the range of 11mV-13mV while the other O2 sensors go up to about the 700's mV range.The wiring harness leading to the O2 sensor doesn't look bad or burnt or frayed.

It is going to depend on the signal. If its noisy or erratic, then possible RF interference from an ignition coil, spark plug or alternator. Also internal issue with the drum that the sensor reads in the transmission. If it is cutting out then possible intermittent open in wiring terminal end or loose pin fit of the terminal ends. If no signal then open wire, wire shorted to power, wire shorted to ground. I would need to know exactly what you did to "check" the harness. The 2106 is more than likely the result of the tss malfunction. 2106 just means the PCM is going into reduced power limp mode. I also need to know what you did to "check" the ETB. The rear 02 sensors will not read the same as the front, the rear sensors are actually cat monitors and do not function the same. The two front sensors should function close to the same. I usually like to watch the front sensors in the full voltage mode in graph form. At idle the front sensors should switch back and forth across the .5 volt range every few seconds.

I just did a visual inspection of the wiring as best as I could. The ETB was cleaned and checked that it could open properly. I do not know how to check its data it with a scanner if that is even possible.

The sensor I'm having trouble with is the Bank 2 Sensor 1 which is the rear O2 sensor on the right side (drivers

side). It does not go past 13 mV wich is about .013 V. We just did a visual inspection on the wiring. The O2 sensor in question was replaced though.

Ok thanks.

Depending on the tss signal results, more detailed testing of the wiring could be required with an ohmmeter and isolating the circuits as necessary to check continuity, resistance and for shorts to power or ground.

Visual inspection of the ETB will not reveal any internal faults with the feedback circuits and actuator position circuits as well as the internal microprocessor within the throttle body.

Bank 2 sensor 1 is the front sensor on the drivers side.

Those are the readings of the TSS on the truck. What does it mean do you think?

How can I check the ETB?

Do you happen to have a diagram of where it is? I thought it was the one in the back on the Catalytic converter.

You need to drive normally, this looks like stop go stop go...also can you include the converter lock up data?

I would not even worry about the ETB until the TSS concern is addressed.

The sensor is about 2 inches below where the flange for the manifold to pipe connection is. Picture HERE.

Based on those 02 sensor readings I would replace it.

What would be the acronym for the Converter lock up data?

I'm not at all familiar with that scanner but on the Ford IDS it can be TCC_ACT or TCC_CUR or TCC%I'm signing off for the evening, will check back tomorrow AM.

Ok thats a good recording. That TSS signal is bad, very noisy. It should be a clean signal like the rpm above it. Are there any symptoms with the truck other than the codes? Does it ever run bad or misfire under load or have any charging system concerns? Can your scanner retrieve mode 6 misfire data? Can it perform diode ripple testing on the alternator? Also, when you removed the old tss was there any metal stuck to the sensor?

The transmission was recently worked on because when we bought it, the transmission was not working. When it was opened it was found that it had pieces of metal in the oil. It was rebuilt and should have been working fine now. What happens is that the truck starts to go slow and lazy after it goes into "limp mode" with the wrench light turning on and the o/d light flashing and it only happens after driving it for a few miles. I keep deleting the codes to see if they will come back and they always do. We haven't used it for carrying any type of loads yet, we have just drove it around running errands. It seems to work fine before it goes into "limp mode."

I tried to check the scanner to see if it had anything like that but it doesn't have the misfire mode 6 data or the diode testing options.

Ok let me know. So did the old tss have any metal sticking to it when you removed it or was it clean? How about the oss did it have any metal?

The old sensor seemed clean.

When the transmission was opened it was found that it had tiny pieces of metal in the oil. It was rebuilt and should have been working fine now. I think the gears were damaged. What happens is that the truck starts to go slow and lazy after it goes into "limp mode" with the wrench light turning on and the o/d light flashing and it only happens after driving it for a few miles. I keep deleting the codes to see if they will come back and they always do. We haven't used it for carrying any type of loads yet, we have just drove it around running errands. It seems to work fine before it goes into "limp mode."

Ok thanks.

At this point finding the reason the TSS signal is so erratic is the next step. If I was working on it I would get it in the air with the scanner installed and monitoring the tss pid with the problem showing on the scanner then carefully move around the harness between the sensor and the PCM and see if the signal changes at all. Needless to say you need to be very careful around spinning driveshafts, axles and wheels while doing this.

I agree those readings for the tss are really nice, thats how a good signal looks. Not sure why it was so noisy on the lift unless the traction control or abs was activating. I guess you need to drive it on the road until you see a bad signal. At least now you know what a good signal looks like.

Do you know of another possible reason for the P0715 code to be on? Do you think maybe we need to change the throttle body? It keeps going slow and going into limp mode. Also what can I do for the Of sensor? Did you see the data for it I sent you? We changed the correct sensor this time.

So you changed the drivers side front sensor and are still getting those readings?

I've never seen the throttle body itself cause a 2106 code. Definitely not the 0715. From all the information supplied it seems you have a signal interference issue causing these three sensors to have signal faults. Really wish you had misfire data to see if a plug or coil is emitting excessive RF or the alternator. You could try disconnecting the alternator temporarily and see if all the symptoms still return. Make sure you disconnect all the wires, the main battery feed and small connector. That would rule out RF from the alternator at least. Are there codes in any other modules?

OK I will try that tomorrow and get back to you with more news.

OK sounds good.

There is a code for the ABS B2293 but we haven't worked on it yet. Have you had to deal with our type of problems before? These codes just don't want to go away. Do you know if maybe it's a PCM software issue or anything of the sort?

Maybe there is an expert here that can help more than I have been able to. I will opt out and return the question to the main question menu.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have code #p2106 and p0715 ? JA: Fortunately, the mechanics
I have code #p2106 and p0715 ? JA: Fortunately, the mechanics here speak code like it's their native tongue. They're great at getting to the bottom of things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in… read more
Bachelors degree automotive technology with minor in diesel
F350 PSD: 04 F350 PSD/automatic 4x4 shortbed. Has 120k on it,
04 F350 PSD/automatic 4x4 shortbed. Has 120k on it, reman FICM, one new injector due to injector wiring screw failure, EGR delete, new oil cooler. Current ambient temp is under 40*f. 4days ago it star… read more
Roy
Roy
shop foreman,
Ford Explorer: Hi, I own a 2004 Ford Explorer, V8, 4.6L. I
Hi, I own a 2004 Ford Explorer, V8, 4.6L. I recently replaced a brake light switch and fuel pump. Not sure if these are related to my current problem. The vehicle wrench light came up and the vehicle … read more
roush665
roush665
Stop searching for answers—
2004 ford explorer: shows the wrench for the electronis throttle
2004 ford exployer shows the wrench for the electronis throttle, car will not eccelerate, what should we try… read more
Marty
Marty
1995 F-150: I need to replace the PCM (computer module)
I need to replace the PCM (computer module) for my 1995 F-150 Need detailed replacement instructions… read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
f150: die..brake or when stopping at stop sign or stop light, any idea
05 f150 5.4 motor, truck wants to die when in drive and foot on brake or when stopping at stop sign or stop light, any idea… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
MAF..I am still getting trouble code P0102, Mass Air Flow..hesitation
I have change the MAF but I am still getting trouble code P0102, Mass Air Flow. What else would cause the hesitation I am getting??… read more
Shawn
Shawn
Self Employed,
2004 f150: transmission rebuilt..idle is very low and sometimes stalls
i have a 2004 f150 with 140000 miles. had the transmission rebuilt. now the idle is very low and sometimes stalls. i have put several hundred miles on it since the rebuild. only code is "lower than ex… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
2006 F-150: 5.4l..20 Mph, when I begin to accelerate the engine revs
I have a 2006 F-150 with a 5.4l engine. Within the last month I have noticed that when I round an average corner at about 15-20 Mph, when I begin to accelerate the engine revs but the truck isn't resp… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
I have an 05 F150 with the following codes...P061B P0320 and
I have an 05 F150 with the following codes...P061B P0320 and P2106 came up twice....please help… read more
Earl
Earl
Technician,
Ford f150: abs light..a rev limited then check engine light comes
abs light on , and abs does not work , when i floor it on ice or snow it cuts out and loses power not like a rev limiter then check engine light comes on once i clear the code it stays off like nothin… read more
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2
Locomotive Mechanic,
Ford Certified Technician
2003 ford Expedition: 4.6L..DTCs PO171..hose..intake manifold
2003 ford Expedition 4.6L DTC's PO171,PO174,P2195,P2197.PCV hose is collapsed at connection going into intake manifold.Can this cause these codes or am I on the wrong track?… read more
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2
Locomotive Mechanic,
Ford Certified Technician
Stop searching for answers—
F150: ENGIN..ON...I HAVE CHANGE THE IGNITION COIL # XXXXX ,O2 SENSOR
I HAVE AN F150 AND THE CHECK ENGIN LIGHT IS ON. I HAVE CHANGE THE IGNITION COIL # XXXXX ,O2 SENSOR ,THE CODES READ SYSTEM TO LEAN BANK 1 , BANK 2 AND ALSO IGNITION COIL D FAULT AND IGNITION 1,2,3,5,6,… read more
David.C
David.C
1995 F-150: automatic..Catalytic converter..hesitation..mileage
Have a 1995 F-150 5.0 automatic. Catalytic converter had been eliminated before I bought. Ran rough, hesitation at startup, terrible mileage. Did tuneup... plugs, wires, cap.. somewhat better. Would r… read more
Ray M.
Ray M.
Diesel Technician,
2004 lincoln aviator: the camshaft sensor circuit and a random misfire
i work at a shop. we currently have a 2004 lincoln aviator with the code p1336. its something about the camshaft sensor circuit and a random misfire. we replaced the cam sensor, plugs, coil packs, and… read more
Technician,
According: My check engine light keeps coming..O2..oxygen sensors
My "check engine" light keeps coming on and according to the code (P0141), the problem is the O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2). Since I have 4 oxygen sensors and they are quite expensive, I would … read more
Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech
I have a Ford F150 5.4 triton 2005 model 4 by 4, When ...
I have a Ford F150 5.4 triton 2005 model 4 by 4, When I give it gas it has a slight hesitation in it. It feels like you go forward for a split second then it takes off, Ford said that there is nothing… read more
lostrider
lostrider
lead technician/working shop foreman,
2000 Lincoln LS: a code reader on it, OBD2 reader..P0302..codes mean
I have a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 and I put a code reader on it, OBD2 reader. I found codes P0308, P0720, P0302, P1309, P0715. What do these codes mean?… read more
Technician,