Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

ford f150: my 2004 ford f150 xlt wont go out of 4x4.

my 2004 ford f150 xlt...
my 2004 ford f150 xlt wont go out of 4x4.
1/10/2014
James, Ford Technician
If you have the vehicle in neutral will it go into 4lo by chance?

nope it just stays in 4x4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1qokrsrg2piebv/2014-01-10%2000.12.37.gif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8tsgkbm4ym8430/2014-01-10%2000.12.33.gif

If you copy and paste these links into your browser It is the wire diagram forXXXXX If you have a multi meter we can test for power. If you have a scan tool that will read 4x4 module it will probably display codes. You can hit the transfer case with a rubber mallet and see if it comes out of 4x4. If the fuses are good I would inspect the relays but it's unlikely both would go bad. More than likely you will be putting a transfer case shift motor to fix your concern. If you do have multi meter I can go over wire testing with you if you would like?

i dont have a multi meter. where is the transfer case.

The transfer case is mounted to the back of the transmission and is silver in color. The transfer case motor is black and silver. It is held on by 3 bolts.

u dont have an engine diagram to do u?

Do you mean a picture of the transfer case and shift motor?

ya where exactly it would be located im kind of car retarded

That isn't a problem. Let me know if this link works or not. If you go under the vehicle between the back door and the bed is about where the transfer case is located. The picture on this link is about half way down.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/437445-4wd-wont-engage-2.html
James, Ford Technician

thanx the link worked fine ill give it a try tomorrow.

Sounds good let me know if I can help with anything else
.

i was wrong my trucks an 03 not an 04 does that make a difference?

Yes it does they did a body style change between those two years and changed the chassis some. The 4x4 motor is still the same and mounted to the same location.

so all of the fixes u told me earlier should still work right?

Yes I will get the earlier wire diagrams though so you have them.

thankyou

I can get the photos to upload so I will try again shortly.
That is it.

well i hit it with the rubber mallet but my console still says 4x4 but with my truck in the air only my back tires spin my front tires dont. so does that mean that my console is wrong?

In drive with foot on the brake can you turn front driveshaft. If you can try going back to 4hi and see if the driveshaft locks.

It doesn't lock but it still says 4x4 on my console so does that mean I have to replace my shift motor

Unplug the shift motor and see if the light goes out?

Nope still on

If that didn't make a difference the problem is likely in the gem module. The fuse box under the dash is where the gem module is mounted too. If you remove the fuse panel you can remove the gem module. The gem module does need to be programmed to the vehicle though for proper operation.

Do u have a diagram of the gem module and how to program it or do I need a mechanic to do it

The gem module has to be reprogrammed by a dealer or shop with ford programming capabilities. This Job takes a couple hours to do and is sort of a pain. Typically if a module needs to be programmed it has to be done at the dealer or you won't be able to drive the vehicle to the dealer if it isn't programmed.

Dam the dealership over here is a ripoff but thanx for the help

I can still send you the directions if you want to try it yourself?

Unless theirs a way to program it myself than I'd rather not try

If the dealer isn't a good place to go too then I would call some independent shops. There are some that can do the programming also.
James, Ford Technician