Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

where is the electrical problem located?

12/4/2013
Ford Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Welcome,

What kind of problem is it giving you.

Please give me as much info as possible so we can try and figure this out.

Also i need the year and engine size please

Larry

The heater blows on high when the key is out of the ignition. some times the head lights will just come on after being off, the CD player at times will play without the key being in the ignition as well. Also when it rains the when shield wipers will stop & when I open my drivers door they often will start back working again. My vehicle is a 2000 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer) 8 cylinder.

Thanks Mike,

You sure have a lot of different things going on here and i cant think of any one thing that would tie them all together so i will opt out of your question so someone who may have seen this before can help. Please dont rate anything yet. Wait until someone else offers some suggestions.

Good luck Mike!

Larry

well Sunday the only thing happen was the heater came on without the key in the ignition & the windshield wipers stopped & started when I opened the drivers door. The other stuff I mention happen through out the year not at the same time. It would be one or the other at different times.

Thanks for that added info. If someone has seen this before, you will be notified.

LJ

ok thanks I'll be waiting

Ok

please be advised that my year and a half battery took over 4. hours before it would even begin to start charging. When I returned that Monday evening after 6:00 pm it had fully charged. I know we normally think of the alternator but, even with a fully charge battery it would do one or the other things that I mention earlier.

Ford Mechanic: tech7027, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
tech7027
tech7027, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to just answer. I have seen this before on expeditions and is caused by a leaking windshield on the drivers side. Water will leak inside and get the gem module and fuse box wet and cause corrosion and numerous electrical concerns. I would advise at this point to look under the dash on drivers side and see if you see any signs of water entering the fuse box. The gem module is bolted to the back of the fuse box. Thanks for using just answer.
tech7027
tech7027, ASE Certified Technician