Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F 150: I have a 78 ford f150 351. I did a tune up about

I have a 78 ford...
I have a 78 ford f150 351. I did a tune up about 7 months ago replaced the wires the plugs rotor and distributor cap. Truck has been running fine up until a few weeks ago it just died in the middle of the street. I thought I ran out of gas cause my gas gauge doesn't work I filled up and it started and I drove about a quarter mile and it cut out again. It cranks but will not start. Thought maybe it was a fuel issue. I checked the fuel pump and disconnected the fuel line to the carb and fuel was spurting normally. Replaced the fuel filter and hooked the fuel line back up and it started up fine. Same thing again stopped in the middle of the road when I drove it. Tried some starter fluid down the carb and it won't start. I replaced the ignition coil and it started up fine and I drove it all over the place with no issues. Drove it to a buddies house and left it for a few hours and when I tried to start it back up it wouldn't start. Same thing it cranks but will not start. Any tips on what I could do to fix this? -Sean
10/27/2013
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
good evening my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you tonight

there is a piece in the distributor called a pick up coil. it is a common failure for this type of issue. if you measure the resistence, it should be(NNN) NNN-NNNNohms.

the module could also be the issue. remove it and take it to a parts store. they check them for free.

Roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

Thanks its working great!

good job

Roy
roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest