Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

F150 5L: I have a 2011 f150 5L I get a strong gas odor when

I have a 2011 f150 5L I get a strong gas odor when I start the truck and roughly 19-15 sec. later there is a white exhaust coming for approximately 45-60 sec. this happens only with the first time I start the truck that day. Also there is a knocking or tapping noise that is not as loud after running the truck for a while. these issues at about 45-50thousnd klm now at 76000

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Can I get the vin#?

After a minute the fuel odor and smoke concern are done, correct?

Is the noise at idle or under load or when cruising?

Any repairs so far to try and address this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry at this time it is still in the shop a ford an has been for 4 days the noise is at idle can not hear when cruising. no repairs done

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry at this time it is still in the shop a ford an has been for 4 days the noise is at idle can not hear when cruising. no repairs done found vin on old work order 1ftvx1ef4bk e05452

See if the below TSB maybe your noise concern.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/11f150noise.pdf

On the startup smoke and odor, it is normal to have a faint fuel odor as well as some fuel smoke or condensation smoke, due to the loop status running rich to get the engine started like a choke would as well as to heat up the converters and O2 sensors.

However faint is the key word, it should be minimal and in your case it sounds excessive. I believe a fuel injector bleed own test needs to be performed. I think while parked overnight you have an injector bleeding down and leaving a pool of fuel on the piston.

An injector concern can also cause a knock or ping type noise, so I suggest you address the odor, and smoke issue prior to addressing the noise concern.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes after a min. odor & smoke gone thanks

Your welcome
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.