James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

f 150 xlt heavy duty tow package: I have a 2010 f150 xlt auto

I have a 2010 f150 xlt auto trans heavy duty tow package. Went to change trans filter and fluid and the filler plug was massively tight. No normal dip stick on this model. went to re tighten it and it broke off. It has the mini dip stick in it so the nut has a hollow area in the middle to go over the mini dip stick. Now the dip stick is loose and trans fluid is coming out around it because the seal is in the nut portion the sheared off. Is there a tool to remove the threaded part that is still in the trans body? the dip stick sticks above the hole and is in the way of the threaded portion that is still in the hole. The metal threaded portion is broken off flush with the top of the trans body , so no way to grab it.
There are a couple tools that can be used for this. One is a multi spline extractor. They come in a bunch of sizes and a lot of places carry them. Another tool I can think of off the top of my head is a gm heater tube removal tool. The number is XXXXX and if you bring the broken part in with you can make sure it isn't going to be to big. These tools should be able to extract you broken piece. The multi spline extractors are very strong for high torque situations. Once you get it extracted you will need to get a replacement plug from a dealer. I don't think anyone else makes that end right now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will these tools fit over the plastic dip stick or do I have to remove pan and drill it out to allow the spline extractor in the hole? plus there isn't a lot of room to work on it. The catylic conv. is right next to it. May have 3" around it? Might need to drop cat just to work on it.

So it's broken so the dipstick tube is being held in place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the mini stick is in the hole but it is not tight hence the trans fluid leak as I first described in the very first set of questions.

I understand that part. When the cap is removed you can remove the little dipstick. The only way to get around it would be try and pull it out with some pliers. If the top half breaks off so you can extract the piece this will allow you to extract the broken piece and the rest of the dipstick tube. The tools I told you about earlier are low profile and should allow for you to get a wrench or socket on to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did this because the truck only has 30,000 miles on it and it shifts from over drive on the freeway and really clunks bad. Also clunks first to second going up hill slow both up shift and down shift. The new filter and fluid didn't change anything. Maybe just slightly better but still very much there.

Oh wow I would defiantly take it into warranty for that concern. You have a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on the transmission. The shift strategy on these vehicles didn't take much to make them go erratic but the large clunking noises aren't normal. I know there were some shift solenoids that needed replacing for not working right. There was a TSB on the solenoid problems.