Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford f 150 fx4: where is the camshaft sensor located on a

where is the camshaft sensor...
where is the camshaft sensor located on a 2004 f 150 5.4 l,and is it a big job to change
8/3/2013
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

The cam sensors are not hard to replace. one screw holds them into the cylinder head.

Here is a diagram. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

graphic

graphic
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Do I have to remove the alternator?

The installation instructions show nothing about removing the alternator. Its pretty direction and just says,

1. Remove battery cable, remove air filter if replacing left side

2. Disconnect sensors, Left and Right

3. Remove CMP sensor, reinstall reverse order, tighten bolt to 89 lb-in (inches, not foot)

If removing the alternator does make the job easier for you, the labor times for removing the alternator are .08 tenths of an hour, So it's not a big job to remove the alternator either way.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician