Ford

Ford Excursion: Hi Randall Im Tom, I have a 2004 Ford Excursion…

Customer Question
Hi Randall Im Tom, I...
Hi Randall Im Tom, I have a 2004 Ford Excursion with the 6.0 diesel. I have to change the alternator, is it necessary to remove the cooling fan in order to gain access to the tensioner, I tried to do it and cant get the breaker bar to go into the tensioner... Read full answer
Hi Randall Im Tom, I have a 2004 Ford Excursion with the 6.0 diesel. I have to change the alternator, is it necessary to remove the cooling fan in order to gain access to the tensioner, I tried to do it and cant get the breaker bar to go into the tensioner
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2013
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 5 years ago
James, Ford Technician
There is a shortcut to replacing this belt. It requires a helper. If the vehicle still has the original or ford tensioner on it. What you do is have someone on the passenger side and pulling on the belt. If the belt gets pulled far enough you can move the tensioner lock into its place and the belt will remain loose. Then when you change out the alternator pull on the belt and the tensioner will release and tighten back up.

Where is the lock? Is it a lever?

If you look on the belt tensioner it looks like a piece of tin flopping. It's on the bottom left side it's springy.
I just wanted to follow up with you and see how it went? Were you able to replace the alternator by just relieving the belt tension. If I can help you out anymore please let me know.
Hey how are you? Is there anything else I can help you with?
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
F250: Randall. I have a 2004 Ford F250 with a 6.0L diesel.
Hello Randall. I have a 2004 Ford F250 with a 6.0L diesel. I've been told by two Ford dealers that because the battery lights comes on and off the alternator needs replacing. Is the F250 tensioner the… read more
Ford Technician,
Bachelors degree automotive technology with minor in diesel
2003 Ford F-350: 6.0 Diesel..Alternator..old one..automatic tensioner
I am working on a 2003 Ford F-350 6.0 Diesel pick up I am replacing the Alternator, I have removed the old one and installed a new one, now I wish to release the automatic tensioner so that I can inst… read more
Bamaman39
Bamaman39
Ford master diesel Tech.Ford certified,
Ford F350: loosen..alternator..I cant see a tension idler
how do you loosen the belt in order to replace the alternator on 06 Ford F350 6.0 diesel? I cant see a tension idler.… read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Owner,
Stop searching for answers—
Changing the alternator, 2004 excursion 6.0L diesel. How do
Changing the alternator, 2004 excursion 6.0L diesel. How do I get the tension off the belt? Does the idler pully have place to put a 1/2" break bar to releive tension?… read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
2003 excursion: eddie bauer 4x4 6.o..belt tensioner pulley
2003 excursion eddie bauer 4x4 6.o Where is the belt tensioner pulley to allow removal of belt to change altunator… read more
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Ford Senior Master Technician,
Ford f-250: tighten..deisel..pickup..I can remove the alternator
How do i loosen and tighten the surpentineblt on a ford f-250 deisel pickup so I can remove the alternator?… read more
RJ
RJ
Ford Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
ford excursion: changing my alternator..loosen the belt
I am changing my alternator in a 05 ford excursion 6.0 where is the tensioning pully so I can loosen the belt?… read more
John Mc
John Mc
Ford Technician,
Vocational Trade School
2005 Ford Excursion: 6.0 diesel..serpentine belt..alternator
I own a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 diesel. How do I releve tension on the serpentine belt so I can change the alternator?… read more
CTFordTech
CTFordTech
Auto Technician,
I need a detailed diagram for a 2004 Ford Excursion Limited,
I need a detailed diagram for a 2004 Ford Excursion Limited, 6.0 L diesel, serpentine belt replacement. Thanks, Gloyd… read more
Retired,
N/A
2003 ford excursion: 6.0l diesel..pully..I get the fan and fan clutch
I have 2003 ford excursion 6.0l diesel. The fan pully on the water pump broke. How do I get the fan and fan clutch off of the water pump?… read more
ASE Certified Technician,
2003 f350: 6.0 diesel..what way is the tensioner turned to loosen
where is the tensioner on a 2003 f350 6.0 diesel? and what way is the tensioner turned to loosen?… read more
Ray M.
Ray M.
Diesel Technician,
2004 Ford F350: Crew..4x4..powerstroke..Im replacing the alternator
I have a 2004 Ford F350 Super Crew 4x4 with thr 6.0 powerstroke diesel. I'm replacing the alternator. It is a single alternator system. Do you have to remove the fan shroud to acces the tensioner? Are… read more
Anthony
Anthony
Master Automobile Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
2004 excursion: i think i need to replace the altenator..diesel
i think i need to replace the altenator on my 2004 excursion w? diesel. how do i go about this… read more
ASE Certified Technician,
2006 f-350 4X4 6.0 DIESEL NEED TO REPLACE ALTERNATOR WICH APPEARS
2006 f-350 4X4 6.0 DIESEL NEED TO REPLACE ALTERNATOR WICH APPEARS STRAIGHT FORWARD BUT HAVING TROUBLE REMOVING BELT. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ACCESS THE BELT TENSIONER WITH ALL THE FAN SHROUDING IN THE… read more
Anthony
Anthony
Master Automobile Technician,
Belt..you replace an alternator on a 2003 6.0 liter diesel
how do you take the tention off of the sepentine belt when you replace an alternator on a 2003 6.0 liter diesel?… read more
lostrider
lostrider
lead technician/working shop foreman,
2004 Ford Excursion: turbo diesel..diesel engine..alternator
2004 Ford Excursion, 6.0 turbo diesel engine. I'm getting read to change the serpentine belt and wonder if somebody can save me the hour of figuring out the best way to get in and out of there. For in… read more
AlvinC
AlvinC
Ford Dealership Technician,
i have a 2003 ford F250 with a 6.0 diesel alternator went ...
i have a 2003 ford F250 with a 6.0 diesel alternator went out need to reinstall serpentine belt. Is there an adjustment knob or pully?… read more
ttiger79
ttiger79
Auto Mechanic,
2003 F-250: Turbo Diesel..alternator..indicator light..serpentine belt
2003 F-250 Turbo Diesel need to replace alternator- battery indicator light on and batteries not being charged -Fan shroud seems to be in the way to roving the serpentine belt and it looks as though t… read more
Technician,