Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Taurus: My 2004 Ford Taurus seized up in traffic. Had…

My 2004 Ford Taurus seized...
My 2004 Ford Taurus seized up in traffic. Had it towed to Ford Dealership. The service techs found the compressor pulley locked up. They replaced a/c compressor clutch. My a/c still not cold tech said his gauges read normal. Continued my trip approx. 450 miles car seized again. Towed again to different dealership tech says fix tenioner to get car to start but going to seize. again because it needs compressor Should the1st tech have fixed compressor
7/31/2013
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Yes, in my opinion, they definitely should have replaced the whole compressor assembly. 9 times out of 10 when the clutch seizes, the shaft inside the compressor as well as the valves inside are damaged and will seize up shortly after replacing just the clutch coil assembly. I always recommend replacing the whole compressor and clutch assembly in cases such as these.

Should I pay 2nd dealership to do work 1st dealership should have done to begin with. Or demand 1st dealership cover repairs. since I am stranded out of state broke down. Plus 2 nights in motel.

I would demand that the first dealership cover the repairs and if needed contact Ford Corporate Customer Relations to press the issue.

This one really is a no-brainer in terms of the 1st dealership having misdiagnosed/undersold needed repair. They should have told you the compressor assembly as a whole should be replaced and what the cost is to repair. It should have never left their service center without the whole compressor being replaced.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.
thank you and please have a safe rest of the summer!