Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Ranger: I replaced the timing belt on my 1995 Ford Ranger

I replaced the timing belt...
I replaced the timing belt on my 1995 Ford Ranger with 2.3L in line all the timing marks up on the Cam, Oil Cam, and Crankshaft at TDC and the truck will not start all sensors are plugged in and working that I can tell. I have compression and spark and fuel. I tried the belt lined up on the compression and exhaust stroke no go only thing I can think of is maybe the CPS is out of position the missing tooth on the CPS gear is at about 2 O'clock when the Crankshaft is at TDC is this correct or should the missing tooth line up on the CPS?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/4/2013
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech

ASEMaster35yrs :

Glad to be of help.

The keyway should be pointing straight up in order to point the timing mark to the correct 29 1/2 degree alignment. The camshaft pulley and oil pump pulley both have 2 marks on them so it can be confusing. You have to make sure your on the right one. Cam Pulley lines up on the triangle shaped mark. oil pump pulley lines up on the diamond shaped mark. The marks on the inner timing cover will match these also if you look closely.

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQDAhLS-NAQ

This one below shows how to align marks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-d-aX-GcKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBWYwu0ZWhc

ASEMaster35yrs :

Full Size Image

ASEMaster35yrs :

Let me know if you need more help.

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Thank you for your positive feedback. Thank you for using just answer.
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech