Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Fusion: was driving my 2006 ford fusion and the wrench light

was driving my 2006 ford...
was driving my 2006 ford fusion and the wrench light and the light that shows a car skidding came on and I could drive any faster than 30km/hr. pulled over as soon as I could, turned the car off. Debated whether to call for a tow, but was only a few blocks from home so I turned the car back on no lights no problem. Obviously it will need to be checked, just wondering what it might be and if it will be expensive. As a woman I'm always worried about getting ripped off.
6/14/2013
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem you are describing in most cases is caused by either sludge build up in the throttle body and or worse case a failing throttle body . Your 2006 has an electronic throttle body which is fly by wire , they are known to send a false signal to the PCM (computer) when the become sludge up. The place to start is to have the throttle body cleaned real well , and make sure when the do this to remove the negative battery cable so as to reset the PCM. If after clean it and the problem reoccurs then in most cases replacing the throttle body will solve this concern. Try the cleaning first as it usually solves the problem.
Kathy, cleaning the throttle body is the first step and this should not cost more than 1 hour of labor.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician