Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Explorer: 2001 Ford Explorer Power Windows Dont Work. Both

2001 Ford Explorer Power Windows Don't Work. Both side windows don't go up and down. I removed driver door panel and power jumped window motor and it goes up and down fine. All the fuses are good. Every other electric components work fine on the car. What is the procedure diagnosing this?
Greetings and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.HI there,Do you have a test light so we can check and make sure there is power to the switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i have power probe and test light as well

Ok, key on, check for power on the light blue/black striped wire and see if there is power there,Let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is no power there at all

Ok, I know you have tested some fuses, I need to have you check fuse #4 in the fuse box under the hood. This is a 30 amp fuse.,it should have power at all times.Please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

fuse #4 is not used on this wehicle

hmmm, I am showing this on the wiring diagram lol.Ok,here is what I would like to have you do, open the harness up where it comes from the body to the door and see if the power wire I had you check is broken.It's common for it to break in there.Check it and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just checked all out and problem is not in the door. it is before it gets to the door round harness. where should i look next?

No that's what I am telling you, open the harness in the stretch where it comes out of the body and to the door.Right in there where the wire flexes all the time is where you will probably find a broken wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, let me work on it.

Ok, no problem at all, let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I got to it today. Wire is not broken at the harness. I get power to blue wire with black stripe but as soon as i hit window UP/DOWN button then voltage drops to 2.7 volts and window wont go up. If i hard wire that blue wire and hit the batton then window works. The problem is somwhere back on the wire which goes to the back of the vehicle right above the driver rocker panel. Where does this wire go to the back? Should i just chase it and remove all the trims to find the problem or is there easier way to do it?

Ok, I need to know what model this is, I know it's an explorer, but sport, sport track 2wd 4x4 it looks like it makes a difference in my wiring diagrams.Let me know.Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is 01 Explorer Sport 2Door 4WD.

Ok, I am showing the window safety relay in relay box 2.This shouldn't have power as a constant however based on what I am looking at here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Having power as a constant - what does this excactly mean? it should not have 12v?

Can you tell me if it has the one touch down switch? you know auto down?Cause I am showing a relay in the system but it's also showing this switch. I want to make sure.Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it has one touch down switch. :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have another ABS question for this same car and should i ask it here or start new topic?

Help me out here, just to be clear, yesterday there was no power at the switch on our hot wire, today there is power, but when the switch is activated, you are losing voltage. Correct?I think you need to start with replacing the window safety relay in relay box #2.You are bypassing that relay when you add power from the outside source.So that is where I would start to see if it resolves it.Let me know :)It's best to start a new topic to be honest.That's the way JA prefers it.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that exactly what was happening and i found the relay, replaced it and it woks fine now. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rates!