Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

my 2000 ford ranger o/d off light is flashing and it has a delayed

my 2000 ford ranger o/d...
my 2000 ford ranger o/d off light is flasing and it has a delayed shift from 1st to 2nd gear. every forum says to replace the shift solenoid. problem is they are all the same. Which one is the solenoid that causes it to shift from 1st to 2nd gear? It has a 3.0 engine is 4x4. do you have a diagram of the solenoids and a description of what each one does. I do not want to replace this by process of elimination as I do not want to keep dropping the xmission pan over and over again until i guess the right solenoid.
3/24/2013
Ford Mechanic: connor75, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician

connor75 :

Would you be able to provide me a VIN number? Thanks

Customer:

1FTRZR15V9YPB11852

connor75 :

Customer:

Yeah I just did but here it is again: 1FTRZR15V9YPB11852

Customer:

Okay, i have answered your question twice, if you do not know just tell me. It is okay know one seems to know the answer to this question, as ford is not sure what transmission that they put in this truck. It is either a 4r44e or 5r55e, cant tell either because the pan has both model numbers on it.

connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX describe the 1-2 shift? Does it hang onto 1st for a real long time then hit 2nd hard? Or does the RPM flare up higher than normal when it does the shift?
1ftrzr15v9ypb11852if you floor it, it will hit the rev limiter before it shifts, if you ease off it will shift. At normal acceleration it will shift normally sometimes but usually it is delayed and shifts hard. It almost feels like it has a shift kit, it does not have one
Did you have it scanned and do you have the codes associated with the flashing OD light? There was a widespread problem with the separator plate gasket on that transmission, but it was usually more of a shift flare than a delayed. I can provide you the location of the 1-2 shift solenoid if you would like. My concern is that it may not even be going into second when you ease off, it may be bypassing that gear entirely and instead giving you third gear.In order to do that I need you to recheck your VIN the one you provided is not recognized, perhaps a character is out of order.
1ftzr15v9ypb11852

See the answer on the image

graphic
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician
ty, but this does not show me what solenoid is where on the transmission. I was hoping for a picture of the valve body with the solenoids shown and each one labeled. Do you have anything like that or a rough diagram?
Bear with me, i have two files, the one I first sent you is the state of the solenoid for the gearshift. If you have no second in this transmission you are going after SSB according to the chart. I will attach the next one now, and yes it is a bit of a rough drawing. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is on the side with the 4 solenoids together, it is one of the 2 in the middle. They are SSB and SSD. Those two solenoids are flanked on either side, by the TCC and the EPC solenoids. The TCC is the one closest to the bell housing, the EPC is the one to the rear of the truck. SSB which is in question is one back from the TCC. Does this make sense?graphic
If you have access to an OHM meter it would be a good idea to do a resistence check on that solenoid. Compare to the other to get a reference, and if it is open the certainly replace it. Also do a Google search on TSB# 03-22-10 and while the pan is off if you look up at where the valve body meets the transmission case look for the gasket blown out. It is difficult to see you will have to look closely, but there is a chance that it is. In that case you remove the valve body and replace the separator plate, and also update the EPC blow off valve. Hope this helps, and thank you using Just Answer.