Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

have a po306 code in a 1997 f150 have replaced the coil pack…

have a po306 code...
have a po306 code in a 1997 f150 have replaced the coil pack wire and plugs also changed the catalytic converter on that side . vehicle is somewhat undered powered and it tends to backfire when coming off the line but gets better as you speed up . but it still isnt running right . the check engine light was flashing and it was really bad before i changed out the converter it lost power going uphill and was backfire also .
3/7/2013
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician replied 9 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Which engine do you have?

Have you ran a cylinder compression test on each cylinder on the drivers side head?

4.2 v6 not yet

After these previous repairs, and the codes were cleared are you still flagging the same cylinder with a concern?

Are you sure you have the firing order on the coil correct?

that code is still showing up and the wires are correct

Have you verified the spark output is equal to the others, good and vibrant blue, you need to do this at the plug not the wire nor coil?

Have you moved the injector to see if the misfire code follows?

not able to without removing the intake manifold so the book says

The intake does not need to be removed to move an injector nor to check ignition spark.

how do you remove it without taking off the plenum

What are you needing help removing, the spark plugs or the injectors?

Do you have the large bulky style upper intake, if so the injectors can not be accessed wit h the upper intake place. If you do not then the injector rail can be unbolted and lifted just enough to get the injector out.

Prior to checking for injector issues, having a compression test ran is the first choice.

have the large one , is there anything else that could be a problem like the pcm or any other sensore that you can think of

This is not a sensor issue most likely. It can be the PCM but we would need to swap injectors or test them to verify.

Can you check the spark and compression for me at some point, then I can rule out a few things and narrow this down more?

wont be able to check the compression until the morning can i get back to you tomorrow some time , put the timing light on the plug wires they were all firing about the same

I need to verify the plugs are sparking well enough, not just the fact that they are firing. yes please do reply whenever tomorrow, I will be online about 2pm to midnight.

What's the best way to check the plug to see if it's Park.

checked compression no4 170 no5 180 no6 battery was starting to run low but it was still 150 , spark was yellow on 5 and 6 but it jumped a inch to the exhaust mainfold on both of them . got a good shock from no 6 plug . took truck out for a spin still running a little rough and it tended to backfire after letting off the gas and then hitting it again . a/c clutch is engauging then shutting off on its own , and the seat belt light is flashing even if you have it on ..

Relist: Other.
wasnt able to provide all the information at the time to the expert needed to do a compression test and check the spark intensity of the spark plugs
Ford Mechanic: POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic replied 9 years ago
POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic

Hello Just Answer customer- I am a Ford Diesel Master Certified Technician. I am here to help you repair your vehicle. Try this first, remove the vacuum line to the egr valve and just hold it to the valve while slowly bringing the rpms up to about 1200-1500 rpm. You should feel the misfire, once you do remove the vacuum line from the egr valve and see if the misfire goes away.If so The problem you are having is the egr ports inside the lower intake are plugged up except for #6. When the egr gas flows it can only enter #6 cylinder causing it to lean misfire. You will need to remove the upper plastic intake manifold to gain access to the lower aluminum manifold. Once there you will see a round tube with holes in it for each cylinder. You need to use a small pick to push the carbon out of the hole then use a blow gun to put air into the tube to blow all the carbon out. Before reinstalling the upper intake replace the lower gaskets and the isolator bolts that hold the intake to the lower intake. Let me know how you make out.

POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic

it has an aluminum upper manifiold not plasic does your answer still apply 4,2 l v6 , will driving the vehicle screw up the engine or cataltic converter

yes it still applies. The egr passage is in the lower intake. Not unless the check engine light starts flashing. Thats a type A misfire and can damage the cats. Just do the test I described earlier to make sure that is the issue. It's a very common problem with the 4.2 engine.

took the vehicle out for a road test on the highway and it was running better and not backfiring when pulling a hill , still seems like the power is still down a bit but better went about 5 miles does the problem get worse as the engine runs . disconnected the egr vacumn hose like you said didnt seem to make much difference . what would happen if i just took off the hose to the engine for 3 or 4 days ?

Did you slowly bring the truck up to 1200 rpm then disconnect the hose and see if the misfire goes away? If you disconnect the vacuum hose it will set a check engine light for egr low flow. One other thing to check if the egr ports are not plugged would be to check the valve springs for #6 to see if they are broken.

thanks i will test drive it again and check the egr valve again but the engine wasnt missing when i tried to do the test i let the engine warm up before i did it . its snowing and cold here wont be able to pull off the valve cover as im working outdoors and have to work tomorrow

Ok let me know. I will be here until we get the problem solved