Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

ford taurus: getting codes p0302 cly 2 misfire and code p0316

getting codes p0302 cly 2 misfire and code p0316 so i changed spark plug on number but the plugs are not more 10000 miles old dbl plat motor craft also changed wires at the same changed all plugs changed crank sensor cleaned relucter balancer now just get codeP0302 and idle just a little rough never dies and runns great down the road it just at idle in gear

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Steve :

Have you replaced the coil pack yet? This is a very common concern for the coil pack to go bad and cause a misfire on cyl #2.

Customer:

no that was my next ?

Customer:

i u plug wire and it fires at number 2

Steve :

Is it a stron blue spark?

Steve :

Is it a strong blue spark?

Customer:

not really blue more yellow

Steve :

Then replace the coil pack.

Customer:

ok

Steve :

You should get a very strong blue spark, if it is a yellow spark, it is to weak to fire under compression.

Steve :

For some reason when the coil pack goes bad it is always cylinder # XXXXX

Customer:

the car runs great when put foot on pedal but idle in gear it idels rough

Customer:

ok so when the coil pack goes out it always gives code P0302

Steve :

Another possibility is low compression in that cylinder. If it idles rough and smooths out when you rev the engine up this could be from low compression in cyl#2. I would preform a compression test first on all the cylinders and compare them to cyl#2 before replacing the coil pack.

Steve :

Usually when the coil pack goes bad I have noticed it gives a p0302. But you also may have a compression concern in that cylinder.

Customer:

ok but it happen just all at once not over period of time

Steve :

That is the way it goes a lot of times it just goes bad. Preform compression test first if ok replace the coil pack.

Customer:

ok thanks

Steve :

Your welcome