Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Escort: My son is driving our 98 Ford Escort the heat

My son is driving our 98 Ford Escort the heat fan switch will not move to anything other than low speed. It was an intermediate at 1st sometimes going to med. and high, now it is low only. Warm air is coming out. Do u think this is a switch and is it easy to replace ?

Ron :

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,

Dose the switch not want to rotate?

Customer:

Yes the switch rotates, but I do not know if it is clicking at each interval as i have not driven it.

Ron :

If its not clicking its could be bad but the most common cause for the lack of blower speeds is in most cases not the switch but instead the blower motor resistor. The blower motor resistor assembly is located on the passenger side of the plenum assembly behind the glove compartment. I would start with checking the movement of the switch and if it appears to be working as it should consider replacing the resistor. If the switch feel loose the suspect it is bad. See the replacement of the switch HERE. To access it you will need to remove the Control panel. See the steps HERE

Customer:

Ok he says switch is clicking as normal so I will pick up a resistor. Do you think I as less than a back yard mechanic can find it and replace it without to much of a problem?

Ron :

Its very easy to find and and remove , there are only 2 screws holding it in place. I have enclosed a picture of it below. That being said before you replace any parts you are best served to do the proper test to be sure you do not replace unneeded parts. If you need the test I can send it.

Full Size Image

Customer:

That would be great if you could send the test procedure.

Ron :

I have enclosed the blower switch test HERE and HERE

Customer:

Please send the test procedure....Thanks you very much for all the info.

Ron :

I have sent in the in the above link but in case your not seeing them click HERE and HERE

Ron :

Click the last to links for the blower switch test.

Ron :

If you have found my answer helpful, please be sure to rate me 3 or higher so I can get credit for my work.