Ford

Have Legal Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Connect one-on-one with a mechanic who will answer your question

Answered in 2 minutes
EdwardVerified
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
Ask your own question

ford explorer xlt: i have a 2002 ford explorer xlt that developed…

i have a 2002 ford explorer xlt that developed an oil leak from the right valve cover.
dealer replaced gaskets on valve covers - got it back and it still leaked oil.
back to dealer i go -- after thier inspection, i am being told that the timing chain broke and put a hole in the valve cover gasket -- hence my oil leak is still and forever with me,unless they replace the engine to the tun of 3000.00 dollars.
does this sound possible?
al
2/15/2013
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question, let me first ask, What engine do you have in your vehicle? is this the 4.0 v6 or the 4.6 v8?
Customer reply

hi, it is the 6cyl. i think--

OK, Did you drive this vehicle in? because if a timing chain was broken, The engine would not run.
Customer reply

drove it in. ran fine just had oil leak which leaked on exaust pipe and created a oil burn smell.

you still here?

I understand. The timing chain may be loose, but if it breaks it doesn't run. I believe what has happened in this scenario, is the timing chain guides or the chain itself has become loose, (it's a common problem) and then the chain does rub a hole in the valve cover and you get your oil leak. You can repair this problem by replacing the timing chain and guides, and in your case another valve cover. However, The labor is around 20 hours book time. and if your engine has over 150,000 miles on it, I can see why the dealer would price a remanufactured engine.

You may wnat to just ask them, how much labor to replace the chain and guides and a valve cover. vs. another replacement engine. it may be a little less, but it will be over 2,000$ in my opinion. I wish I had better news, but with this problem on Overhead Cam 4.0 engines, It takes a lot of labor to repair the timing chain. So some repair facilitys opt for a rebuilt engine replacement.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply

is the timing chain in the front of the engine or the rear?

It is in the front of the engine.
Customer reply

how could it rub a hole in the rear of the valve cover then?

The timing chain is in the front, however, there is a balance shaft chain that spins another chain in the rear. There is more than one chain. Let me see if I can post a diagram. Give me just one second. Notice the chain (or cassette) is in the front, the other chain spins the cam in the front on drivers side, and in the rear on the passenger side. Provided you are sure this is a 4.0 v6 and not the 4.6 v8.

graphic
Expert avatar
Edward, Mechanic
Pearl avatarSteve Pearl, Assistant
Mechanic is online now!