Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

f-150: I was just plowing snow with my 1994 ford f150 and noticed

I was just plowing snow...
I was just plowing snow with my 1994 ford f150 and noticed a lot of transmission fluid leaing around what appears to be a rubber freeze plug on the bottom side (front of the transmission). Do I replace the plug or is my transmission bad?
2/10/2013
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician

autodoc_2000 :

The plug that you are referring to is the access plug to the torque converter drain plug. Remove the plug and turn the engine over slowly with a ratchet and socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt until you see a plug in the bottom of the torque converter. Some of them do not have a drain plug, but they have an access hole for it. You may want to make a mark on the torque converter so you know you went all the way around. Once you find the plug make sure it is tight. I think it is 11 mm or 7/16". If it is tight then the torque converter to pump seal is leaking and the transmission needs to be removed in order to replace it. I would recommend it being done by someone with transmission experience because there is a bushing that the torque converter rides on and if it is bad it will ruin you new seal and it will need to be done again.

Customer:

I will try it

autodoc_2000 :

OK let me know.

Customer:

Assuming that the crankshaft pulley is the bottom one, it looks like it has four bolts which I can not get to as the fan is in the way. I do not see or feel a center bolt.

autodoc_2000 :

There is a center bolt. I believe it is 15/16" and with a extension you can put the socket and extension in and the ratchet will just fit from the bottom. I believe it is a 3" extension. Yes the crankshaft pulley is the bottom one. You can use a mirror and flashlight to see it.

autodoc_2000 :

You can try to have someone bump the ignition key just enough to turn it over a little and try to get it to stop close to the drain plug, but this way it will be impossible to make sure you see the whole thing around if there is no drain plug.

Customer:

will check

autodoc_2000 :

ok

Customer:

Tried 15/16 - way to big to go in hole. Went back to your original 7/16 and used 3 " extension but would not reach in enough. Is there another way to turn over engine?

Customer:

Strap wremch or pipe wrench or something on outside of pulley?

autodoc_2000 :

The 7/16 is for the torque converter drain plug not the crankshaft pulley bolt. What engine is in your truck?

Customer:

5 liter (305?)

autodoc_2000 :

You can try to turn the alternator pulley bolt but most of the time the pulley turns without turning the bolt.

Customer:

will try

autodoc_2000 :

If you cannot get it to turn you may have to remove the fan and shroud in order to access the bolt. The 4 bolts that you saw on the crankshaft pulley will remove the pulley, but there is a bigger one inside that remove the harmonic balancer. I will try to find a picture.

autodoc_2000 :

Here is a picture of the harmonic balancer with the pulley removed.

Full Size Image

Customer:

If I put a 9/16 wrench on one of the 4 bolts on crank pulley, the pulley will turn along with fan, etc. Will this turn over engine? Sorry for taking so long. Weather is brutal out there.

autodoc_2000 :

From my research it is 15/16" to turn the engine over with that bolt.

autodoc_2000 :

yes it will but be careful not to mess up the hex part of the bolt incase you need to remove it later. Also be careful not to break the bolt off because it is a smaller diameter bolt that the one that goes through the center.

Customer:

will try

autodoc_2000 :

Ok

Customer:

no luck. Could only turn it a little. What if I just kept bumping it with starter until the plug comes in to view?

autodoc_2000 :

As I said in previous post that will work but if there is no plug you may not see it because of not seeing the converter all the way around. It is definitely worth a try though. If you do not see one then it may not have one.

Customer:

ok

autodoc_2000 :

Let me know how you make out.

Customer:

Found the 7/16 plug on the converter. Was able to tighten one full turn. Running now to warm up engine and check fluid level. Did not show any fluid on stick. Added 1.5 quarts. Left access port off and warming up engine. No leak yet. Is it possible that it needs to be under load to leak?

autodoc_2000 :

It is possible that under load may cause it to leak. Did it look like the plug was leaking?

Customer:

It is not now but I think I was out of fluid when I first found the plug. Truck is still running.

autodoc_2000 :

Ok I need to leave for about an hour I will check back then to see how you are doing.

Customer:

When it did leal, the leak was BIG

autodoc_2000 :

OK I would drive it and see if it leaks again. If it does you will need the seal .If it does not then you more than likely fixed it by tightening the plug.

Customer:

will try it

Customer:

I think I am ok. Thank you.

autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician