Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

expedition: I have 2001 expedition heater only blows warm air,

I have 2001 expedition heater only blows warm air, the two hoses on the fire wall one is hot the other one is just warm ,i replaced the thermostat didnt help

Steve W :

Hello my name isXXXXX

Steve W :

Was the coolant dirty, it sounds like from the description the heater core is plugged, the hoses should both be hot to the touch when at normal operating temp.

Customer:

IT

Steve W :

You can try to back flush the core with water and see if it makes any difference, you may have to replace the heater core.

Customer:

it doesnt look like it is

Steve W :

Ok, from the description of the hoses one being cold, this normally means the core is plugged.

Steve W :

Another thing to try is to make sure the water pump is working, remove a heater hose and start briefly and make sure there is a solid flow of coolant, if there isn't, suspect a water pump.

Steve W :

I have seen a few impellers fracture.

Customer:

ok i will try that thank you.

Steve W :

I would check for coolant flow at heater hose, if ok perform a back flush then reassemble and see if there is any improvement.

Steve W :

Thanks Steve W, thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer:

what should i do to back flush.

Steve W :

We use a garden hose and turn it on at the heater core, remove the heater hoses and back flush this way, if you are not sure of the flow, flush both ways.

Steve W :

Normally the heater hose on the intake is the supply.

Customer:

ok thank you.

Steve W :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX using Just Answer, Steve W