Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1995 ford explorer. The message center says check

brake light, so I replaced...
I have a 1995 ford explorer. The message center says check brake light, so I replaced the bad tail light with a new bulb. Now every time the key is turned the message center still says check brake light a quick press of the reset button does not get rid of this warning, just until the key is turned on. Any ideas on how to reset this? The light works fine.
12/4/2012
Pete, Auto Service Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

Yes, any ideas how to reset the message center?

Have you verified and made sure all of the brake lights are working and that they all have the correct bulbs in them?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Yes the lights work, but message center has not reset.

L.H.

Are they all the correct bulbs in the vehicle?

Yes, that is why, seems crazy but the M/C won't reset.

O.k.,according to the info I have on this here this should be able to be reset using this switch and in some cases will reset itself when it reads the correct voltage from the bulbs,if all bulbs are working and are the correct bulbs and with this not resetting with the switch or with the lamp control module seeing the bulbs are good this sounds like either an internal electrical fault in the lamp control monitor system with the wiring at fault or possibly the control unit itself.This would have to be checked/tested to be sure and is best done by a dealer with their correct diagrams and test equipment to locate this issue.

There are a couple of bulletins on this vehicle for the lamp control module being faulty with some burned connections due to after market wiring or trailer wiring in some cases so this may need to be checked as well.

I hope this info has helped in some way here,thanks Pete.
Pete, Auto Service Technician

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,

I rechecked your feedback for what might help, the m/c still won't reset. The auto store sold me the right lights for that year a 95' but they are LED lights, i'm wondering if the LED might be messing with the m/c? they don't blink with the signal lights theres a separate amber one plain factory ones. any ideas? Thanks!

If this vehicle didnt come originally with LED lights and this is what is on it now this can definately cause this type of fault here.

What steps can I take to keep using the LED lights? They seem to be brighter, safety. The m/c is important to me, and I don't want warnings on it. Thanks.

On allot of vehicles the light control/monitor control unit detects voltage and resistance to monitor lamps/bulbs and when led lights are used this can throw off this signal causing this light/message to appear.I don't know of a remedy myself for this issue to keep using these lights without seeing this message.You might try and contact a dealer to see if they have any kind of an adapter to simulate the original light resistance to correct this issue here.
Pete, Auto Service Technician