Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

escape: How do you get a rear ford escape door open if latch

How do you get a...
How do you get a rear ford escape door open if latch is broke?
11/1/2012
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

kalamykid :

With the panel off, you shoudl be able to get to the inside latch mech. and manualy open the rear hatch. Let em see if I have a diagram that will help you find the correct part to move to open it up. Be right back.

Customer:

I'm not sure how to disconnect the power door lock wire connector and that seems to be in the way. Behind that I could barely reach (with my fingertips) a rod that feels to be bent 90 degrees at the end. I could slide it up and down ever so slightly and sounds like it would be the release but not sure.

kalamykid :

I have a link for you where you can see exactly what you have inside the rear hatch. I marked the link rod and clip with red so you know exactly what you are looking for. Just push the rod down " you may have to open the clip holding the rod to the electrical assembily to get it to open.

kalamykid :

If you click on the diagram it will blow up, if it is still to small you can click on it again and it will blow up even more.

Customer:

No. it's the right rear door latch not the hatch latch.

kalamykid :

I am sorry, let me pull up the correct diagram for you, be right back.

kalamykid :

The rear door lock actuator is known to lock up and not let the door be unlocked, you have to disconec the lock rod from the actuator, then manual unlock the door then you shoudl be able to open the door with the door handle.

kalamykid :

Here is what you are looking for,

Customer:

So how do I remove it? I believe that part is behind the metal frame of the door.

kalamykid :

On the long side of the clip, you have to lift the back side to unlock it " the latch is kinda lickl a tupaware lid, you have to lift th edge to get it to reliese.

kalamykid :

Then te lock tab will swing open so you can pull the rod out.

Customer:

What are you referring to as the long side of the clip? and I'm supposed to lift the back side of it... is that the latch like the tupperware lid?

kalamykid :

Did you follow the link I posted for the door lock actuator rod? In that diagram I marked the lock rod and clip in red. The long side is the oposite side of the rod.

Customer:

I don't think I could access that. I believe what my fingertips could get to is right behind the electrical connector on the top side. I feel the bend. That currently is not going through anything to latch. I can't really get to the rod via the underside of the connector.

kalamykid :

DO you have the rear window up or down?

Customer:

I had it down while working on it.

kalamykid :

If you raise thew window up, you will have alot more room to get to the latch assembily.

Customer:

So I'll be reaching around the underside of that connector and trying to locate the clip and remove that?

kalamykid :

yes, and with the window up, you will have alot more room to move around in.

Customer:

I'm still a bit confused though. I remove the clip and the rod or just the clip? Then the door should just open with those removed?

kalamykid :

You will have to remove the rod from the clip, then you caan unlock the door " the actuator willnot let the latch unlock and that is why it will not open now" then you shoudl be able to open the door with the inside and out side door latch, but you have to push the rod up to unlock the door after you have it out of the clip.

kalamykid :

If you can not get the loctch open, you can disconec the latch from the lever. you have to push the two halfs of the tip of the clip inward so the pin itself will colapse so the pin will come out of the lever. but it is best if you can open the clip and pull the rod out of the clip.

Customer:

The top of that rod does not appear to be attached to anything (different as shown in the picture) at the moment, so I'm not sure what this will do.

kalamykid :

If the lock rod has come out of the latch, then you shoudl be able to push the plastic arm upward to unlock the door so the latch will open.

Customer:

What are you referring to as the plastic arm?

kalamykid :

the lock rod actuator will have a funky end on it oposite of the lock rod clip, the funky end will go into a plastic arm.

Customer:

You are referring to the 90 bend on the top side?

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

you said the rod had come loose, so just move the plastic arm, not rhe rod.

Customer:

Ok. So I'm going to change my focus to the arm which the rod is supposed to go into?

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

All ythe rod willmove at this point willbe the door lock actuator, not the door latch.

Customer:

I don't remember having much room because of the metal door frame. Even with the window up I may not be able to access.

kalamykid :

If you remove the speeker in thebottom of the door, you will be able to get your arm into the door much easier.

kalamykid :

The actuator assembily is big and bulky, so it is hard to work around it.

Customer:

I noticed. That does not come out at all?

kalamykid :

The assembily will come out, but it is a big pain in the back side to get out.

Customer:

Do you think if the window is up there will be enough room to re-attach the rod? Could that be the reason neither handle opens the door?

kalamykid :

More then likely the plastic has broken so the door latch assembily may need to be replaced.

Customer:

I take it that wouldn't be hard to replace once the door is actually open.

kalamykid :

But it is possible that the lock clip on the platic arm has broken, you will just have to see if you can get the rod out and check the clip on the the plastic arm. And yes it will be much easier to replace the parts once the door is open, you will have even more room to manuvor insode the door.

Customer:

I just don't think I can get to that plastic arm to push up on it. Even if I remove the speaker the plastic arm would be the opposite corner of the door. Still don't think I'd be able to reach it.

kalamykid :

Try this, roll the window all the way down, use a flash light to look down along side the window into the door" if you have not removed the top rubber in the inside of the door remove it now" then use a metal coat hanger and see if you can hook the rod so you can unlooc the door.

Customer:

do you have more diagrams of the plastic arm so I know what to look for when looking down the window?

kalamykid :

Let me see what i can find for you.

kalamykid :

I am sorry but I do not have a good diagram for you.

Customer:

there is nothing which shows the plastic arm and the actual latch?

kalamykid :

I do not have access to better diagrams this late at night, i might can get you one in the morning.

Customer:

If you could provide further diagrams in the morning, I'd appreciate it.

kalamykid :

I can do that, I will post them asap in the morning for you.

Customer:

thanks

kalamykid :

Chat with you in the morning.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Finally got the door open. Inside door latch now working but external is not. Does not appear to be connected to anything. Does the rod connect to this?

Relist: Incomplete answer.
external door handle still not opening door
Relist: Incomplete answer.

It is possible that the out side door handle has broken, and the rod you have found dangling goes to the out side door handle. If this rod had come loose, It coudhave keeped the door lock from working correctly. Where you able to look aplong side the window into the door to see the link rods, and actualtor?

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at when I look down. I see the extension of the handle with the spring. Can't tell what's out on the end of that though. Feeling the end, there seems to be small part that pivots from it. Not sure if the rod is supposed to go through that or not.

DO you have an xlt, xls, or a limited series escape?

xls

Let me see what i can find for the internals for your door so you can see what is what in the door. Be right back.
I am so sorry but even the ford parts break down willnot help you. It does not clearly show you what part goes where. But there are two rods in the door for the latch, one for the out side door handle, and the other for the power door lock actuator.From what ou have described to me, I believethe out side door handle has broken and the door handle rod is the one that is loose. You will need to replace the out side door handle to fix your problem.
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech